AuthorTopic: [Concept][WIP] Revamped project approach, comments/thoughts appreciated!  (Read 12122 times)

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage
The char looks like from a 2D sidescroller game. It looks odd in a RPG environment. It'd be good to bring in some RPG perspective.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile
The char looks like from a 2D sidescroller game. It looks odd in a RPG environment. It'd be good to bring in some RPG perspective.
He said there's some 2D sidescroller bits so I'm assuming this is for that part of the game.
If not, then yeah perspective definitely needs fixing.
It would be best if we can see examples of both perspectives.

Some similarities here with project I'm "working" (I use the word loosely) on.
I figured it was just way too much work to have explorable top-down AND side-scrolling sections so my idea is a simplified node-based overworld map.
This seems much more achievable since I can be loose and creative with the map design without worrying about tiling and such.
I'm hoping I will be able to make the map beautiful enough that viewing it is a refreshing change from the tile-based environment, and such I plan to add features that entice you to spend a little more time in the map than simply moving from point A to point G.
You may really want to do it your way which is great but just keep in mind you're pretty much doubling the amount of work involved and you may burn out once the scale of your undertaking really hits you.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 05:05:43 am by Decroded »

Offline skaytr

• View Profile
Some excellent points!

The side scrolling was intended to break up the top down rpg style actually, with some deep slightly comical background parrallaxing elements hehe. Will work towards screen mock ups with a placeholder hud n stuff. And yes i will make a top down sprite for Hero :) im still tweaking the design however, so i wanna finish the sude on run cycle before i continue with him in top down.

Kinda late here, just checking in before bed.
As always, thanks again for bestowing upon me your vast pixel knowledge muahahahahaha :D