AuthorTopic: Constructive Criticism?  (Read 3289 times)

Offline Kurieta

• View Profile

Constructive Criticism?

on: May 22, 2013, 04:51:34 am
Hello, I'm brand new to these forums so please excuse my ignorance  :P
I'm not an experienced pixel artist by any means, I'm still doing beginner tutorials lol but I decided to take a stab at a pixel art contest. I'm going to make the pixels further away from the candle more saturated, and I seriously need to work on the shading of the wall. Besides that, what can I do to improve this? Too much brown? I think the window needs some work too...

Thanks in advance :)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline AzKai

• View Profile
    • My Artwork

Re: Constructive Criticism?

Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 07:41:18 pm
It's funny because we just had a discussion about tutorials in another topic earlier today. :P Tutorials are awesome but remember to figure out WHY certain things are the way they are. Don't just do those 'step by step' tutorials but really delve into why pixel artists do certain things that they do.

I'm not a professional like other artists here on the forums but I'll do what I can to give you some constructive feedback.

Color

As a beginner myself I always start in greyscale (case and point: http://azkai.deviantart.com/art/EcoVerse-BlackMarket-Greyscale-WIP-Preview-366889743 ). That's because color can easily cloud our judgement. We can spend hours working on color alone when really it was never a problem to begin with. You're right in thinking that there is WAY too much red in this picture. Now, color is subjective so let me tell you why I personally think there's too much red:

You could easily make this a monochromatic scene and ditch that black for a very dark and desaturated red... however; I really don't think that's what you were originally going for, which is why I'm not recommending it. Red is one of the most powerful colors we can work with and it's one of the most saturated colors found in nature. Remember that saturation will draw the eye to it... so right now, because everything is SO saturated, the eye doesn't know where to look.

To learn more about color I highly suggest this DVD http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/472/color-Theory%3A-The-Mechanics-of-color#.UZ-_JrVUWAg A little pricey to some but well worth it. And since we're on a tutorial kick today, here's a pretty handy tutorial as well: http://purplekecleon.deviantart.com/art/How-I-See-Color-A-Tutorial-184642625 (But not a replacement for that DVD. That DVD is simply amazing and no tutorial or article I have found can touch it or do it justice.)

When you do work with color later, try figuring out what your focus is. Perhaps it's the lonely flame in the corner. That, then, can be the most saturated part. (Saturation is useful for all sorts of things, not just directing the eye.)

Errors

You have some banding situations going on, particularly on the bed. As well, I assume you want that checkerboard pattern to be the pattern that appears on the bed, however; there's no 'feel' to the sheets or pillows... they look incredibly flat and have no texture.

Even very simplistic pixel art still typically gives a feeling of texture since, as humans, we imagine ourselves touching and interacting with things--especially in games and what not.

Also keep in mind that the light coming in from the window would be effecting the color of things most likely. :)

Those are just a few things I can think of off of the top of my head. Good start and keep at it.

Offline Kurieta

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 04:59:20 pm
 :'( I'm sorry for the late reply! D: I posted to this website then forgot what the name was (figures -.-). Anyway, I appreciate the feedback and will definitely look into those :D I'm just a poor boy right now, but when I scrape together the money, I'll be sure to get that dvd  :crazy: I appreciate the feedback :)

Offline Kurieta

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 05:04:33 pm
Oh! and here's what I did as a final result: http://kurieta7.deviantart.com/art/Candlelit-Room-4-373966808