AuthorTopic: Silhouette art  (Read 4667 times)

Offline Coops

• View Profile

Silhouette art

on: June 01, 2013, 06:05:12 pm

All that is done for now. I do plan on making more and I will post them here if I do.

EDIT: Shoulders should be more visible now
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 12:56:21 am by Coops »

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Re: Silhouette art

Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 06:47:46 pm
I can't figure out what that is.. I see a sword and a cape..

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 07:50:09 pm
I can see a shouldered (?) sword, a helmet (?) and a cape/scarf. It looks somewhat interesting, but I agree that it has readability issues. Also, the colors are rather dull.
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 09:17:45 pm
Wow, at first I thought it was a samurai-guy facing to the right with a giant naked shoulder, with a large sword brooding behind him.

The helmet probably needs to be separated from its background a bit better. I like the disappearing lines on the helmet and the disintegration of the swordblade. :o
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com

Offline Coops

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 10:14:20 pm
Maybe this will shed some light.

I will see if I can improve on readability.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 12:13:05 am by Coops »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 01:25:33 am
Hair looks more like a branch and is blowing opposite direction from his clothing.

Placement of the sword would be uncomfortable and impractical. He wouldn't even be able to walk through a door.
Be aware of the angle of the sword conflicting with the angle of the clothing, use it to your advantage some how or eliminate it if its unintentional.

In your reference we see a pauldron which would help with ur readability issue.

Pick a light source or 2, draw indicators on your canvas, and render all your forms before you start detailing the drapery.

The shoulders are wider in your reference compared to the more realistically (and boring) large head in your image.

Offline Coops

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 02:29:46 am
I'm trying to represent him in a symbolic way, while avoiding his physical stature and pose (If that makes sense). Adding his pauldron would mean I'd have to add the rest of his torso armor before it seems like it would destroy the look and style I'm trying to get.

I want this to be the kind of thing where if you have no knowledge of what it is trying to represent, it looks mysterious and you are incognizant of it, but if you do know what it is trying to show then you see it right away, much like a silhouette.

Maybe kind of counter productive of wanting feedback but it was an art style I wanted to try.

I figured the lighting of the cloth was acceptable as is, but if someone wants to show me otherwise then please do (I frequently have a hard time with lighting directions). Also in retrospect of the hair, it does look somewhat rigid and frail.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 02:37:31 am by Coops »

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 03:19:26 am
I want this to be the kind of thing where if you have no knowledge of what it is trying to represent, it looks mysterious and you are incognizant of it, but if you do know what it is trying to show then you see it right away, much like a silhouette.

Maybe kind of counter productive of wanting feedback but it was an art style I wanted to try.

If I, or the other guys here have no idea what the art is supposed to represent, then, not to discourage, that's a big sign it may have failed in using the basic artistic principles which make it more readable--and beyond that, an interesting design in itself. Real shame, because this idea has potential.

Sticking closer to the source, which is an interesting design, would help massively with readability and composition. But earlier crits still stand.

Something like this:

Still sloppy/vague but the lights/darks are there.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 05:30:00 am by pistachio »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 03:33:39 am
I would recommend doing some other less vague styles first.
get comfortable with form, lighting, texture.
you can always use this knowledge later to branch out more confidently into other more experimental styles.

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 04:57:15 am
If you want something more symbolic try removing the human elements and think more about composition.
Here's some quick ideas:
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1