AuthorTopic: Advice? Wizard (WIP) (C+C)  (Read 2952 times)

Offline I_am_secretly_a_cat

• View Profile

Advice? Wizard (WIP) (C+C)

on: June 01, 2013, 07:51:27 am
I've pixel arted a few times in my life, but this is the first proper try and making something.
I'm trying to create a busy 'wizard's study' background, but it's not coming out like it is in my head. I guess I'll just add more shelves and magical shizzle.

Also, I feel like my shading is pretty shabby, but I wouldn't know how to go about doing highlights and shadows without ruining it, or taking a very long time to figure out where they should be... Is this normal for a beginner? or is there a technique?

I haven't done the wooden background or flooring yet, it's still a WIP. I would gladly take advice on how to go about doing that effectively too if anyone has time. :)

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: Advice? Wizard (WIP) (C+C)

Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 07:58:42 am
he needs much more contrast to stand out against the background.

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 08:43:28 am
Contrast by changing his colour? Or by giving his darker shadows and highlights?

Offline Letmethink

• Lol!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 09:40:11 am
I feel that the light needs a bit of work, I would have thought it would be more like this (quick edit)
I also played with the shadows a bit and made the man stand out more from the background.

I can't be bothered to make a signature. Seriously, who has time to write these things? I have stuff to do, games to make, and you expect me to write a big, long signature?  I'm not your slave. You can't tell me what to do, so no, I WON'T write a signature.

Oh, wait...

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 12:32:31 pm
Great thankyou! The wizard looks a lot better with those colours.

And the lighting works well too, I don't know why I put a cold light in a warm room...

Here's my attempt at the lighting and some minor improvements. It's still a WIP.