AuthorTopic: character deisgn [WIP] C+C  (Read 3486 times)

Offline poster_boi

• View Profile

character deisgn [WIP] C+C

on: May 26, 2013, 03:44:28 pm
New here, and to Pixel art as well. 

these are a few character designs im working on for a new game.

player character V1

[removed // not pixel art]
player character V2

enemy character

looking for ways to improve.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 08:21:14 pm by poster_boi »

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Re: character deisgn [WIP] C+C

Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 07:37:18 pm
I don't know if you're planning to stick with version 2 of the player character, but it's not pixel art :P

Version 1 has a cartoon face, but by the looks of the enemy character it looks like a serious game...

The pixelling in general looks as if it was done quickly, it needs polish: odd shoulder, weird legs, and more generally, pixels that pop out over the place

Offline poster_boi

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 11:34:01 am

hi, thanks for the criticism ! much appreciated !

here are some new updates to the character. i agree about the polish issue, will work on that.

revision 01

revision 02

what do you think  ?

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 12:05:28 pm
Now it looks much better, revision 01 is best version so far. It kinda has some humor element, and I like it. Feet are in a strange position in relation to the body, and you should work more on hands to make them more defined. Maybe you should use color from his beard and use it to add details on those orange pockets. For me the head is the thing that sells this design. :)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 12:15:04 am
Agree with Harvey.
Revision 01 is great, especially the head.  :y:
I read the orange thing as a gun holster, in which case I think he would look better with just 1 (Han Solo style).
Shoulders have some strange lumps going on, should be simplified and squared-off IMO.
The band on his right (our left) forearm is a little chunky for my taste since it looks like it would slow him down when drawing his pistol.
Yes, in my head this guy mainly uses a pistol because it allows for so many cool hero stances and animation  :lol:

Legs obviously need work. Skinny legs is a good idea but perhaps at this lo-res they become almost sticks so try for straighter lines or the extra pixels just stand out as protuding lumps.
The feet could use a few extra pixels even with skinny legs, make the base of the foot a bit longer.
In this stance it would be weird for both feet to face the same direction, try having one facing towards as and one facing our right.

Offline poster_boi

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 01:24:16 pm

here's my first shot at animation.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

based on the PC character design, with some changes due to the freeform pixeling process.

i drew all frames one next to another on pyxeledit to form a spritesheet which i imported to aesprite to animate.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

what do you think ?  am i doing it all wrong ?

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 04:04:01 pm
Well, the right leg has two problems.

1- It zooms too fast to the front. The space it travels between the second and third frames is too big.

2- The frame before it reaches full extension, it's still too contracted. This creates a feeling of him performing a small "kicking" motion.
To fix it, graduate the distension of the knee so it's not so contracted before it reaches maximum extension.

Another small problem could be that the right arm reaches a higher altitude than the left one in the front swing, but it might be ok