AuthorTopic: First time spriter, CC appreciated.  (Read 4544 times)

Offline GameDragon

• View Profile

First time spriter, CC appreciated.

on: May 11, 2013, 01:28:54 pm
Hello everyone, first time posting here and also my first time trying to do any form of pixel art.

At the moment, I am just trying to get some practice in. The character is of an anime character, named Erza Scarlet. I was interesting in attempting a long haired character, she was the first to pop into my mind. While the base is my own, it's heavily inspired by several japanese pixiv artists like yumurama. It still needs work in some places, like the hair, but I'm not exactly sure what to do with it.

My current problem right now is the back:

I'm not sure how to go about doing this at all. I tried to throw in some strands in the hair, but it still looks really odd to me. I'd appreciate any criticism and suggestions you can give.

Thank you.

Offline BlackFang

• View Profile

Re: First time spriter, CC appreciated.

Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 05:46:32 pm
That's pretty nice for your first pixel art! First timers usually try to put a lot of details and the piece becomes noisy, but yours is pretty clean, good job!

I made a quick edit to make her head look less flat, then i used the back of her hair to emphasize this:

Offline GameDragon

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 09:51:39 pm
Thanks a lot BlackFang. Your point about the shape of the head helped me out tremendously.

I ended up redoing a lot of it, I didn't like how wide I made the hair. It made it look very "wild." So I slimmed it down quite a bit. I also removed or changed some colors that I thought were redundant or unnecessary. The difference is mostly unnoticeable, but it's there.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 09:26:40 am by GameDragon »

Offline Letmethink

• Lol!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 03:38:54 pm
Thanks a lot BlackFang. Your point about the shape of the head helped me out tremendously.

I ended up redoing a lot of it, I didn't like how wide I made the hair. It made it look very "wild." So I slimmed it down quite a bit. I also removed or changed some colors that I thought were redundant or unnecessary. The difference is mostly unnoticeable, but it's there.

One problem I have with this walking animation is that it seems that the character's feet are point outwards as they are moving, it gives it a almost coical feel to it. Tell me if you disagree, but I just think that the feet should point more inwards. If you try walking normally, you will naturally see that your feet generally stay straight, they don't bend outwards.
I can't be bothered to make a signature. Seriously, who has time to write these things? I have stuff to do, games to make, and you expect me to write a big, long signature?  I'm not your slave. You can't tell me what to do, so no, I WON'T write a signature.

Oh, wait...

Offline GameDragon

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 06:33:06 pm
One problem I have with this walking animation is that it seems that the character's feet are point outwards as they are moving, it gives it a almost coical feel to it. Tell me if you disagree, but I just think that the feet should point more inwards. If you try walking normally, you will naturally see that your feet generally stay straight, they don't bend outwards.
I'd agree with that.

In the front view, I think it's tolerable, but it's most noticeable in the back view. I had a difficult time trying to emphasize which leg was in front or behind due to the sprite being so small. I'll try working on that, thank you.

Offline Sohei

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 11:31:03 am
Very detailed work on torso. Why it's not on face and hair?