AuthorTopic: Profiting from web games  (Read 11086 times)

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Profiting from web games

on: May 27, 2013, 05:18:39 am
Regrettably, I still don't understand the business side of web game development.

Take Kingdom Rush, for example. A great little turret defense game. IMO, ranks high up on the list of best-ever flash turret defense games. I, for one, love it.

But . . . how did it profit? How were the devs paid?

It was done by Armor Games (apparently). I'm sure each group probably has a slightly different business model, but surely they're all very similar.

Anybody have a little info on this subject? I would love to know about it and I assume there are many others here who feel the same way.

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Re: Profiting from web games

Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 05:57:12 am
Ads and mictrotransactions?

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 06:07:27 am
Yea, some microtransactions on the iOS version too ( plus the iOS version costs 1$), Ads from site traffic.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 06:37:07 am
A friend of mine who does web based games said that usually publishers such as Amor Games pay a flat rate up front for games showing promise. Then they keep the revenue of ads and site traffic etc. A premium is also sometimes paid if the developer agrees to only have the game on one particular site. Smaller games often include ads within the game, and of course many have micro-transaction options.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 08:46:27 am
Microtransaction? Didn't know they were called that. I assume this is when users purchase little game-related things, like so-called "premium content".

I beat Kingdom Rush and now I'm being urged to pay actual money to keep going. Here's the payment options screen:

I assume Kongregate will get all, or just a percentage of money made this way.

As a casual gamer, one doesn't really care or need to know about any of this. But just underneath the surface, there' s a bustling market. Very interesting.

So then, if the group that created Kingdom Rush sold it for a flat dollar amount, I wonder what that was. Anyone care to venture a guess?

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 09:06:44 am
I'd recommend lostgarden's post on flash games. It explains the role of the key players in flash games fairly well, although I cannot validate/invalidate his claims, not being in the business of flash games myself.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 03:11:55 pm
Narrowly on-topic but I want to ask you guys something....maybe I wont be the only one thinking this

I dont code, but I've been thinking of learning *something* to start making games, flash seems good because of this monetization posibility, but isnt it supposedly dead now that HTML5 is out? is there something out there like flash to make games in html5 or something? =/

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 04:00:30 pm
is there something out there like flash to make games in html5 or something? =/

Maybe calling it "like flash" is a bit extreme, but there's Impact JS who had a fairly nice demonstrator. I know it has issues with sound, though (sound support in HTML5 doesn't seem very convincing altogether).

(don't we have a "code/platforms listing" thread somewhere, btw?)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 07:46:58 am by PypeBros »

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 05:40:19 pm
Conceit: GameMaker, among other tools, can export to HTML5. It's probably not perfect, but there's always that option.

PypeBros: That's actually a great article, thanks for sharing.

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 01:18:25 am
@Conceit:
Construct 2 is a very easy to use and powerful game making tool that exports to html5. If you like having more control and don't fear getting into programming, Monkey (Basic-like syntax) is also easy to pick up and more flexible than Construct. But Construct has a lot of stuff built-in to streamline your workflow that Monkey doesn't; image/animation editor, automatic sprite sheet arranging etc.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 01:21:37 am by ErekT »

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 01:57:20 am
Thank you so much guys! Construct2 looks like the thing to try for me right now...I'm a bit ashamed I feel like I hijacked your thread Mathias =( even more so if it's like PypeBros said and we have a thread for this already...do we? =X

Ditto on the development/monetization article, thanks Pypebros!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 11:00:50 pm by Conceit »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 02:38:46 am
Haha, no don't worry about it! I was able to learn a few interesting things. That's all that matters.

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 03:39:13 am
Thank you so much guys! Construct2 looks like the thing to try for me right now...I'm a bit ashamed I feel like I hijacked your thread Mathias =( even more so if PypeBros and we have a thread for this already...do we? =X

Ditto on the development/monetization article, thanks Pypebros!
I have C2, highly recommend. Easy to use and very flexible. Helpful forums and supports Spriter as well which is awesome.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 05:29:02 pm
@Conceit I also highly reccommend any code flavor of flixel you can get your hands on. It is stupidly simple and you can have a game running in minutes and customize it and the engine itself to your heart's content. And plus, while flixel itself is an actionscript 3 flash library (i'd reccommend starting there first) it's also been ported over to the Haxe language (html5 compatable) as HaxeFlixel. The best way I know of using it is with Flashdevelop. The only downside of the flash side of flixel is that (and here we get into thread topic :D ) I've not found a good way to monetize it yet. There are tutorials though on FlashGameDojo and around the Flixel forums about the subject though. I've just not tried it myself. Another reason is I don't like ads in games and I don't like punching in a quarter for a 1up. Otherwise if you want to get started making games with programming, I'd say take a look at flixel too. Heck, it's so simple I'd teach it to kids!

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 03:14:17 am
@xhunter

Thanks for the tip man! TBH I still havent tried construct, I guess I'll try both and go with whichever is easier =)
About monetizing, I agree that it really isnt very pretty to do something like that, and I suspect the general pixelation member would be inclined to think it's ugly

all the more reason to think about HOW to do it, what WOULD be acceptable for our standards.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4qmBuBUatE
some relevant EXTRA CREDITS because I find it's always good food for thought =)

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 07:44:14 am
I don't like punching in a quarter for a 1up.

That actually makes very much sense to me. "Pay $.25 for replay this level, or restart at level 1 for free". Much more interesting than "pay $5 to unlock level 3" (which was the (succesful?) shareware model, btw).

Offline Berzee

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: July 03, 2013, 09:21:40 pm
Old-ish thread but I'll reply anyway just to give some more detailed info based on my experiences. There are five main ways that I know of to make money from a web game:

1. Advertisements, of course. When you post a game on Kongregate, Newgrounds, or a few other places, they'll share the advertising revenue with you. Kongregate for example gives you up to 50% of the profits (or 35% if the game isn't exclusively available on Kongregate...or 25% if you don't implement their achievements system). A quick off-the-cuff calculation tells me that I make about a bit less than a tenth of a penny per play on my most popular Kong game -- so Kingdom Rush, with 12 million plays, will have made about $10,000 from Kong ads -- which alone is probably not that much for such a big game, but still. =P

2. Microtransactions -- I haven't worked with these at all, but presumably those are a big factor in making it worthwhile for the devs to keep working on a game after the initial wave of popularity.

3. Embedded Ads -- these are the silly ads that are built into the program and pop up in between levels and stuff (MochiAds, CPMStar, etc). If your game is picked up and becomes weirdly popular by random Brazilian games portals (like one of mine was, I've no idea why :P) and you're lucky enough to have them use the version where the game hasn't been hacked and the ads stripped out yet, you can get a fairly good result with these too, at the cost of making your game super annoying (which is why I always include a link back to a place you can play it without being interrupted by ads).

4. "Primary Sponsorships" -- this is where a flash game publisher (like Armor Games) pays you to put their logo and branding all over the game before releasing it to The Internet at large. Usually they will make a deal whereby the game is available exclusively from their site for about a week, and afterwards is spread to as many outlets as possible, carrying their logo. This can provide a big chunk of initial money if you can get such a sponsorship (or like, $100 for a little game nobody cares about =P). In most cases, the developers are still the ones who collect advertisement money (from Kongregate and embedded ads...not from ads on the sponsor's site) -- the sponsor just pays to have thousands or millions of people watch their splash screen. ^_^

5. "Secondary Sponsorships" aka "Sitelocks" -- this is where a flash portal site will pay you for a version of your game that has all the embedded ads removed, and which contains their branding, but purely for the right to host it on THEIR website -- so they don't get their logo on the version you spread all over the internet. Usually, Primary Sponsorships will include a clause saying that you can still override that branding to sell Secondary Sponsorships. (So like, I sold a sitelocked version of my game to "Hairy Games" once...they could have bought that from me even the main version of the game had someone else's logo on it).

The way to max out all of these, of course, is to try and get a Primary Sponsorship first of all, and then your game is so awesome that lots of portals want to host a their-site branded version and so pay you for sitelocks (so they can have a pure and uncontaminated copy), while a lot of people also inexplicably play the advertisement-laden version that has seeped into the cracks of the world wide web as well. Plus microtransactions maybe.

On the other hand, I've only made tiny games and only successfully secured one secondary sponsorship and no primary ones. So all of this is probably subject to change if you are a popular developer or are dealing with a weird/innovative sponsor, or if you make some kind of agreement to have all future games sponsored by a particular site (not sure how often that happens). And there might be other sinister money-making plots I'm not aware of, too.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 09:24:55 pm by Berzee »