AuthorTopic: Commercial Critique Challenge - Pokemon Red/Blue  (Read 139416 times)

Offline StevenM

• View Profile

Re: Commercial Critique Challenge - Pokemon Red/Blue

Reply #140 on: July 29, 2014, 06:01:19 pm

I am super loving these pictures! I only have one little issue with Ymedron's edit - widening the spotlights means the 8*8 tiles on either side of the spotlights will now have a vertical line of white, but those tiles were also recycled throughout the background. So there's essentially two copies of the background tiles, with and without the white line.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 06:06:34 pm by StevenM »

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #141 on: July 30, 2014, 12:12:45 pm
StevenM, I see... I hadn't noticed they were recycled. D:

Alternatively of course one could take care to render the pokemon sprites themselves so that they never touch the borders. I think the tangents really hurt the last image, at least more than what the extra two lines of pixels help.
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com

Offline StevenM

• View Profile

Reply #142 on: July 30, 2014, 02:17:01 pm
StevenM, I see... I hadn't noticed they were recycled. D:

Alternatively of course one could take care to render the pokemon sprites themselves so that they never touch the borders. I think the tangents really hurt the last image, at least more than what the extra two lines of pixels help.

Yeah, that would be the better alternative since the sprites don't need extra tiles to be edited.

Offline pokeglitch

• View Profile

Reply #143 on: August 04, 2014, 05:13:44 pm
I updated the layout of my battle screen to incorporate the superb background tiles that StevenM and DragonDePlatino have displayed.

Actually, only the forest is introduced at the moment (and slightly modified since I can only work with 9 tiles in height and 18 bg tiles overall). I can introduce the caves and indoor tiles very easily since the infrastructure is all set up.

I need to fix some things tonight and add in the final remaining feature (Loading the 'face' tiles) and then I will post some screenshots.

If anyone is interested in helping me with the design of more background environments, that would be awesome. Let me know!

EDIT:

Here are the screenshots, the faces haven't been implemented yet.  Which style do you think works best?

« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 02:20:29 am by pokeglitch »

Offline Kirby

• View Profile

Reply #144 on: August 06, 2014, 04:49:16 pm
I can't begin to tell you all what wonderful people you are.

I don't know what possessed me to wander haplessly into this forum and stumble upon this topic, but seeing all this has inspired me, and motivated me to try my hand at programming again.  In two hours, I have made a picture-perfect replica of Pallet Town and Route 1, all basic functions of the game save for Pokemon encounters intact.

My time these days is extremely limited, so I don't know how fast I'll be able to work on this little pet project, but should I get farther along in it, perhaps I could work with some of you to allow for in-game interface swapping to one of these masterpieces you've designed.  It will already be incredibly easy to work with you all as it is, since you obviously understand how tiles work.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #145 on: August 08, 2014, 02:50:30 am
Kirby: I'm so glad we've inspired you! I too have been extremely impressed with the work that has come out of this commercial critique challenge. What I like most about these activities, and pixel art in general, is that restrictions breed creativity, and there are a lot of creative solutions evident in the work here. Good luck on your project, and when you get to that point, feel free to message any of the users here to ask permission to use their work :]

Offline pokeglitch

• View Profile

Reply #146 on: August 08, 2014, 11:28:45 am
I can't begin to tell you all what wonderful people you are.

I don't know what possessed me to wander haplessly into this forum and stumble upon this topic, but seeing all this has inspired me, and motivated me to try my hand at programming again.  In two hours, I have made a picture-perfect replica of Pallet Town and Route 1, all basic functions of the game save for Pokemon encounters intact.

My time these days is extremely limited, so I don't know how fast I'll be able to work on this little pet project, but should I get farther along in it, perhaps I could work with some of you to allow for in-game interface swapping to one of these masterpieces you've designed.  It will already be incredibly easy to work with you all as it is, since you obviously understand how tiles work.

Are you creating a game from scratch?

Offline Kirby

• View Profile

Reply #147 on: August 08, 2014, 01:16:02 pm
Ryumaru: Thanks so much! =)  With a couple more hours put in, I've recreated Viridian in all of its glory, and added in NPCs to make the world start to feel more alive.

Pokeglitch: That I am!  The only thing between me and the lines of code is my trusty keyboard.

Offline pokeglitch

• View Profile

Reply #148 on: August 25, 2014, 03:11:54 am
Kirby, how is your game coming along?

I have posted a video of the new battle sequence onto my youtube page, take a look and tell me what you all think!

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #149 on: August 25, 2014, 06:12:45 am
pokeglitch, that looks absolutely amazing! The black background gives the battle a cinematic feel reminiscent to the nidorino vs gengar cutscene, and that's a great thing.

a few concerns:
- where would trainer's remaining pokemon be shown?
- will you have "HP" in the HUD at all? without it things get to be a bit nebulous up there
- do you plan on making exp shown in hud? It's pretty important!