AuthorTopic: Commercial Critique Challenge - Pokemon Red/Blue  (Read 139362 times)

Offline Azuyre

• ryuzach
    • View Profile

Re: Commercial Critique Challenge - Pokemon Red/Blue

Reply #70 on: June 01, 2013, 10:54:35 pm
Awesome, this layout really cuts down on wasted space. But the psuedo 3D layout has been carried from the first game to every game in the series since then, so I feel kinda torn on the issue.
Yeah, it is a bit strange to have something different after being so used to whats in the games, I kinda like this one cause it reminds me of the opening scene from Red and Blue. :)

Also, by having different rounded ends for the bars fill, you're adding 18 extra tiles in addition to the regular 9.
Ah, I hadn't thought about that, I fixed it on this new one.

I decided to try some different icons out, what do you guys think?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 11:02:15 pm by Azuyre »

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #71 on: June 02, 2013, 12:57:58 am
I've never been any good at layouts or anything, so I decided to try redoing a randomly selected pokémon sprite.

It's not as easy as it seems, I found out. D: Will have to fix around with this.
Edit:
I was going to sleep, but I had to try and pre-emptively fix some of the errors that I could see.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 01:07:11 am by Ymedron »
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com

Offline x-death

• View Profile

Reply #72 on: June 02, 2013, 04:39:05 am
how can i be the first to think of Jinns pokemon restoration project?

he has a piece of it on pixeljoint but i'll send you the deviant art link. http://jinndev.deviantart.com/art/Pokemon-RedBlue-Revitalization-256768981

hopefully this is of some help. his work with pokemon even on pixeljoint is nothing short of amazing.

Offline Corinthian Baby

• Meditating Pixel Placement
    • View Profile

Reply #73 on: June 02, 2013, 05:23:08 pm
Good call I had forgotten about that. Jinn is indeed incredible with colors/rendering. I'd love to see some post-GB mockups with those sprites!

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #74 on: June 02, 2013, 07:25:32 pm
Azuyre, does the sword symbol mean increased strength?  I might try changing it to a fist since the attack option uses a fist, and the pokemon dont actually use swords.  Though if you cant make a readable fist at that size sword is probably the way to go since people easily recognize the meaning.

Offline Azuyre

• ryuzach
    • View Profile

Reply #75 on: June 02, 2013, 08:30:33 pm
Azuyre, does the sword symbol mean increased strength?  I might try changing it to a fist since the attack option uses a fist, and the pokemon dont actually use swords.  Though if you cant make a readable fist at that size sword is probably the way to go since people easily recognize the meaning.
Yeah, the sword was for attack, I was trying to make a fist but at that size it was a bit hard to convey, I figured sword/shield are generally recognized though. I wonder if there's something else that would be a bit match for pokemon that could replace the fist and sword.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #76 on: June 02, 2013, 08:36:57 pm
But both defense and attack can go up and down right?

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Reply #77 on: June 02, 2013, 09:26:29 pm
Think back to the 90's
It'd be better not to show any piece of weaponry on the game, children could get bad ideas, NOA would be on our ass... you know. ::)

And yes Seiseki, all stats can go either up or down a certain number of times, those stats being ATK, DEF, SP.ATK and SP.DEF

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #78 on: June 02, 2013, 10:18:18 pm
Actually I believe the stats were (in Gen 1) Attack, Defense, Speed and Special ( covers both SpA and SpD)
Minor stats being Evasion and Accuracy

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #79 on: June 02, 2013, 10:31:46 pm
So if the stats can go up and down, I don't think any of them should be used as icons, since even if speed is down a pokemon might still be faster than it's opponent.
Best thing would be if you could somehow get an info box of the stats, but then we're talking gameplay alterations.

Stuff like poison and sleep which are binary effects would be easier to include.