AuthorTopic: Commercial Critique Challenge - Pokemon Red/Blue  (Read 139401 times)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: Commercial Critique Challenge - Pokemon Red/Blue

Reply #50 on: May 29, 2013, 06:09:55 am
Dusty: Beautiful. That's an interesting thing to explore, exploiting transparency in static sprites!

If only we had one of those rom hackers who wanted to make us a pokemon crimson version. It would be really cool to see this stuff all put together.

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #51 on: May 29, 2013, 07:14:51 am
hmm, that is a good idea about the transparency.

since were supposed to be concerning ourselves with how it would look on an actual gameboy, could anyone confirm how convincingly the old gameboy screen displayed dithering?

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #52 on: May 29, 2013, 12:10:23 pm
Too many colors on the NPCs though, Dusty? The hair. Here's a segment of NPCs from PKMNY. (There's a much larger one later in the data.) Plotted from white (0) to black (3).
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 12:13:20 pm by Arne »

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #53 on: May 29, 2013, 01:33:55 pm
Nice! Love that you managed to make a good looking GUI while keeping the pokeballs. It does looks a little thick though and would be nice with a bit larger margin for the text.

I tried something similar inspired by your design!

I added a lighter gray zeroes as fillers, makes it easier to see the actual numbers while still filling out the empty spots.
Not sure about the gui as it looks more bloated and goofy. But I was aiming for the target audience rather than my personal taste :)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #54 on: May 29, 2013, 02:06:24 pm
Too many colors on the NPCs though, Dusty? The hair. Here's a segment of NPCs from PKMNY. (There's a much larger one later in the data.) Plotted from white (0) to black (3).

Hmm can you point out where exactly? I'm fairly certain I kept it to 3 colors per 8x8:

Dusty: Beautiful. That's an interesting thing to explore, exploiting transparency in static sprites!

If only we had one of those rom hackers who wanted to make us a pokemon crimson version. It would be really cool to see this stuff all put together.
Thanks, and ya people should definitely exploit it if possible. Though I remember on Link's Awakening, Link's sword had transparency used as a shade and Link could walk under it and be seen through it. Always bugged me, so gotta be careful I guess.

Nice! Love that you managed to make a good looking GUI while keeping the pokeballs. It does looks a little thick though and would be nice with a bit larger margin for the text.

I tried something similar inspired by your design!

I added a lighter gray zeroes as fillers, makes it easier to see the actual numbers while still filling out the empty spots.
Not sure about the gui as it looks more bloated and goofy. But I was aiming for the target audience rather than my personal taste :)
Thanks! I agree the GUI was a bit bloated, and I even had to cut down the bottom portion to make it look less cluttered. I could possibly fix the bloated look with a custom font that better suits the alignment, but I couldn't be bothered.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 02:12:44 pm by Dusty »

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #55 on: May 29, 2013, 03:49:25 pm
Dusty> I see, you used the Final Fantasy NPC approach with the top using a different palette. Well, that's the first game I saw using it for 16*16 px NPCs anyways. While the GB apparently allows for two different transparency colors, all the NPC's in Yellow seem to use white as transp. so hacking it in would probably take some extra effort. Looking at some random GB games, I see none using transparencies mixed on the same character. Not sure if a limitation... Maybe it just wasn't practical? Perhaps the transp. index was associated with the entire movable figure? SML just used white as trans for everything in the game. The Castlevania games seems to have different transparencies for different figures but not mixed. A lot of games with 16*16 px characters like the FFL/SaGa games and Zelda seem to stay with one transparency.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #56 on: May 29, 2013, 11:10:13 pm
Ah that's a pity, I'm not as clever as I thought. Oh well, I suppose I did maintain the restrictions of the challenge at least.

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #57 on: May 30, 2013, 08:44:14 am
Also, the Pokéballs are NPCs (seen on the NPC dump) and not a part of the local terrain chunks. They are used elsewhere as "treasure chests" and Voltorb encounters, iirc.

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Reply #58 on: May 30, 2013, 01:51:02 pm
Dang! I worked with the colours from one of the tilesheets in the other thread, and didn't notice that the brightness settings were different. It ended up a bit darker than I had envisioned.

Anyway, here is a progress .gif that features the reference and intended colours:

Corrected brightness levels:

I consider the r/b Blastoise sprite to be one of the worst in that game. The shell, cannon, arm, hand and leg are just one big confusing mess of clashing surfaces. Both the original r/g version and yellow did a better job making this sprite readable, while also looking like the original designs. Anyway, that's why I wanted to start by doing a remake based on this particular sprite. My only goals were simplifying the look and trying to do a better job at creating unique surfaces that don't blend into each other too much. Aside from that I just had fun with it. My commitment to the source material is... loose.

I thought there would be more of a rush to remaking the monster and trainer sprites! :P
I want to take a stab at reconstructing the battle interface as well. I think Azuyre and Arne are on the right track in trying to reduce the text content and size of the battle menu. Having every little bit of information told through the text box has been one of my biggest gripes with these games since the start. All battles just take so long! By putting more of that information in symbols that pop up, less would have to be constantly explained in text, and the battles could move on in a quicker pace.
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #59 on: May 30, 2013, 02:39:23 pm
Also, the Pokéballs are NPCs (seen on the NPC dump) and not a part of the local terrain chunks. They are used elsewhere as "treasure chests" and Voltorb encounters, iirc.

Aye, I did make them in with being NPCs in mind.