AuthorTopic: Commercial Critique Challenge - Pokemon Red/Blue  (Read 139371 times)

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Re: Commercial Critique Challenge: Pokemon red/blue [DRAFT]

Reply #20 on: May 26, 2013, 06:07:21 pm
I think this screenshot of route 1 should be more suitable for this activity. It has trees in it, and we have a more interesting perspective on Red.

Also, the thing I dislike about the gameboy palette: If you're familiar with the fact that human eyes are more sensitive to higher values, the available gray colors are a bit dark. There's a stronger contrast between the lightest two values but smaller contrast between the darkest two.  :'(
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 06:16:47 pm by Pix3M »

Offline Azuyre

• ryuzach
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: May 26, 2013, 06:30:50 pm
I decided to give a try at revamping the battle screen slightly:

I tried shrinking the font horizontally a bit to save space, although from what Arne mentioned in the other thread this font size probably wouldn't work in the game.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #22 on: May 26, 2013, 07:34:22 pm
That layout looks really nice! But how would the menu for selecting fight, pkmn, item, run, look?
Also, that font would have to be 4x8, you can't do an M in 4x8. It looks much better with a tall font though. It's also easier to fit in with the other gui elements.

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: May 26, 2013, 08:02:11 pm

Fiddled with the tiles, though I kept their tiling approach the same, just made the tiles themselves look different.

The lighter ground tiles better, the next darkest ground reads better as a grassy texture.

Tall grass though? Not sure if a more 'real' approach works better than the other approach that uses giant weeds.

My new tree probably tiles worse because I gave my tree more form.

The big trees from Viridian forest might be interesting to tackle next.

Offline Azuyre

• ryuzach
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: May 26, 2013, 08:03:14 pm
That layout looks really nice! But how would the menu for selecting fight, pkmn, item, run, look?
I was thinking something like this:

The .gif ended up being a bit faster then I planned. :P

Also, that font would have to be 4x8, you can't do an M in 4x8. It looks much better with a tall font though. It's also easier to fit in with the other gui elements.
I think I remember seeing a font get away with 4px wide letters and have an alright looking M, I'll look around and see if I can find it. Why 4x8 though?

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #25 on: May 26, 2013, 08:29:33 pm
Because everything is based on a 8x8 grid, I'm not sure if it's a technical limitation, something to get better performance or easier way to code.
Anything larger than 8x8 would have to be power of two, 16x16, 32x32.

I updated my design a bit too.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 08:41:15 pm by Seiseki »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #26 on: May 26, 2013, 08:33:38 pm
It is a tech limit. The All Nintendo 2D hardware uses 8x8 characters for tiles (and for sprites in a lot of cases too, GB/C as well). And of course there is a limited amount of how many chars can be in RAM at any given moment and so on. So yeah, making a 4x8 font would require either shitloads of lettercombos or some system that generates tiles from bitmap data on the fly or something along those lines.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #27 on: May 26, 2013, 08:43:59 pm
It is a tech limit. The All Nintendo 2D hardware uses 8x8 characters for tiles (and for sprites in a lot of cases too, GB/C as well). And of course there is a limited amount of how many chars can be in RAM at any given moment and so on. So yeah, making a 4x8 font would require either shitloads of lettercombos or some system that generates tiles from bitmap data on the fly or something along those lines.

So, worst case scenario, two pokemons + attacks that use all the letters in the alphabet and all numbers, in the same battle.
I wonder how much was left in the memory, maybe a 4 palette gui and font would really be impossible.

Offline Azuyre

• ryuzach
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: May 26, 2013, 08:57:14 pm
Definitely sounds like a lot more trouble then simply using a wider font. XD
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 09:05:12 pm by Azuyre »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #29 on: May 26, 2013, 09:30:17 pm

So, worst case scenario, two pokemons + attacks that use all the letters in the alphabet and all numbers, in the same battle.
I wonder how much was left in the memory, maybe a 4 palette gui and font would really be impossible.

The GB could do a lot more than what Pokemon does. I mean, they surely did not have all pokemon gfx in memory. There are games with much more complex art and crazy tile usage. Most likely is that Nintendo just did these as cheap as possible as far as assets go.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.