General > Commercial Critique

Commercial Critique - Pokemon Red/Blue

<< < (2/11) > >>

Crow:

--- Quote from: Seiseki on May 24, 2013, 12:57:31 pm ---Is the PKMN shortening due to the original being in japanese, and the whole translated word not fitting in?

--- End quote ---

The original just said ポケモン (PO-KE-MO-N), but it was on the left side, on the bottom. In the translated one, it doesn't fit on the right side with just three characters, so they made it small, too.

Seiseki:
Ah, yeah, it doesn't take up as much space with japanese characters, might be even less if they'd use kanji, but I guess they don't since it's for kids.

If the english font wasn't so wide they could have had Fight - Item - Pokemon - Run too.

Crow:

--- Quote from: Seiseki on May 24, 2013, 01:42:59 pm ---Ah, yeah, it doesn't take up as much space with japanese characters, might be even less if they'd use kanji, but I guess they don't since it's for kids.
--- End quote ---

They mostly didn't use Kanji because the resolution is way too low to make them readable and not too big at the same time.

tim:
The thread needs some serious clarification. What do you ask us to do ?
Redraw a frame of pokemon ? Animate a pokemon ? Should we respect the gameboy specs ?
Thanks.

Carnivac:
Not a Pokemon fan at all (I had Blue when it first came out but more because a girl I liked had Red rather than anything to do with the game itself).  I was always curious though why the non-battle sections looked so vastly inferior to something like Link's Awakening (in my opinion the greatest Gameboy ever made... and the best Zelda, with Link to the Past close behind) which was released many years earlier.  The Pokemon battle sprites, at least in these early versions, just look too scrappy to me as well.  The broken black outlines, particularly noticable on the Squirtle(?) just do not work for me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version