AuthorTopic: Preventing blurry images in chrome?  (Read 17477 times)

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Preventing blurry images in chrome?

on: May 22, 2013, 10:15:03 am
So I've heard chrome doesn't scale the images here with nearest neighbor interpolation.
I saw there were a few extensions you could download to fix that.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/nearest%20neighbor?hl=sv

And one of them said this

img {
    image-rendering: -webkit-optimize-contrast;
}

This should prevent images from becoming blurry when scaled, though it might not work in all versions of Chrome.

But apparently it still doesn't work in Chrome with the extensions, maybe there's another way of fixing it?

And are there any other browsers having the same problem? I remember having to change some settings in opera a while back.

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Re: Preventing blurry images in chrome?

Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 10:49:58 am
Chrome/Safari are pretty much the only affected browsers here. I'm afraid Opera will have the same problem once they begin working on their Webkit forked Blink with Google soon. We'll see. Someone posted a rather complex solution with HTML5 and the canvas tag earlier, which I haven't gotten around to implementing yet. And I'd rather not, to be honest.
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 10:59:05 am
Guess I won't be updating opera then :D

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 11:42:45 am
Do it. It'll be good, except for maybe this little nitpick. Who knows, maybe they'll implement something. If not, I will.

Offline Azuyre

• ryuzach
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 09:21:03 pm
Someone on PixelJoint made an extension for chrome that fixes the blurred zoom on their site, I talked to him about getting it to work for Pixelation too and he said it's most likely possible but that he didn't have the time to try it out himself. Here's a link to the extension. If you click file there's a download option, once you download it you can just check developer mode on the extension page and go to load unpacked extension.

Anyway, I could ask him for the source code for it if someone wants to try and get it working for Pixelation too, an extension for just these two sites probably isn't the best solution, but its better than nothing I guess.

I don't know a thing about making extensions by the way so it's possible the files you need to modify it are already there. :P

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 01:37:42 pm
I'd really like that because I still use Chrome and have to download every piece of pixel art I see here to see it up close and crisp. Would help with my spontaneous critiques to be able to zoom in Chrome cleanly again.

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 02:22:39 pm
I'd really like that because I still use Chrome and have to download every piece of pixel art I see here to see it up close and crisp. Would help with my spontaneous critiques to be able to zoom in Chrome cleanly again.

So far, Opera's developer preview (Opera 15, labeled Opera Next right now) doesn't support the nearest neighbor CSS fixes either. I wonder if they'll still add it. One has to consider that this is basically still in an early alpha stage, though. Regardless, I'll add a fix for this soon.

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 04:49:20 pm
Since I've been reading "nearest neighbor" very frequently lately, I assume it's becoming an often-used term and propose we use "NN" from now on. Or "nene". :P

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 05:09:57 pm
That sounds kinda confusing, at least nearest neighbor is google-able..

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 05:21:34 am
You're on a PC, I believe. Have you tried the Windows zoom tool? I have keystroke CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+Z set to initiate it. Not ideal, but it works.

I too prefer Chrome and really need a nearest neighbor fix! I just tried this. Doesn't work.