AuthorTopic: Restoring the former glory of Pixelation!  (Read 24768 times)

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Re: Restoring the former glory of Pixelation!

Reply #50 on: May 31, 2013, 05:48:53 pm
I personally think the interesting part about de-making is to try if a style and feeling can be brought down to a few pixels.
The Dark Souls style was pretty interesting because it's working with real proportions and lots of small details which aren't easy to translate to pixels. and it also needed a lot of version to get something acceptable. I am not sure though if anybody recognizes the sprite now as "Dark Souls" if it's without context. I fear that it also could be just read as a generic dark knight.

I think De-Making works best with established main-characters

I made an experiment quite a while ago where the subject was "Metroid Prime". I started with the Prequel "Super Metroid" which was my reference and I used the designs and the mood of Metroid Prime. The bad thing is that I weren't able to do more than a single sprite so far.

design ref: http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100215035740/metroid/images/5/58/Mprime_07_big.jpg

The hard part of de-making something which hasn't a 2D preqel is that the gameplay of the 2D version also has to be envisioned before starting. The part of analizing the earlier 2D graphics and applying principles to new stuff won't happen - but I think from the educational side this is also pretty interesting. And it's cool to work with concept art which is intended fo rsomething completely different too.

LoL might be popular, but I personally never played it- from what I know it lacks a strong main character (there are dozens of heros), it has no 2D prequels and the environment is also very generic. I don't know about their concept art, they have digital paintings for each character, but I haven't seen turnaround drawings or environment concept art so far.

For a group activity it might be more successful to choose one single game and we try as a group collaboration to come up with at least one mockup - this wouldn't be that much work for everybody and we could analyze every aspect in a group too. 

Just my 2 cents
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile
    • Doctor Who - Retro Sprite Gallery

Reply #51 on: May 31, 2013, 05:56:21 pm
I think I may prefer remakes to demakes really.  Particularly remakes of old games that perhaps don't have a completely established style and environment like most modern games do due to the limitations of hardware of that time and it's up to the artist to come up with a style that they feel suits their own interpretation of it.   I'd like to see varying takes on character sprites (not just the done-to-death famous characters but perhaps lesser known ones from people's own personal favorites).   That's why I liked that Pixel Joint challenge back in 2007 where I did a mock up game shot remaking the old 8-bit game Werewolves of London I enjoyed playing from my own childhood and gave it a whole new look but still keeping with the basic gameplay style and theme of the werewolf in london (making it look more London-like, for one).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 05:58:11 pm by Carnivac »
NES, Amiga & Amstrad CPC inspired
I know nothing about pixel art
http://carnivac.tumblr.com/

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Reply #52 on: May 31, 2013, 06:18:28 pm
De-Making...

I made an experiment quite a while ago where the subject was "Metroid Prime". I started with the Prequel "Super Metroid" which was my reference and I used the designs and the mood of Metroid Prime. The bad thing is that I weren't able to do more than a single sprite so far.

Relevant. Although it's been 99% dead for a couple years.

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/13899.htm
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile
    • ArgyleBox | Designs by Valouria Saurus (VERY OUTDATED)

Reply #53 on: June 03, 2013, 04:27:19 pm
I've just not had a chance to be active beyond lurking once-a-week due to working on pixel art freelance work for clients. Keeps happening that before I get to finish the entire project for one, another job presents itself (heck, sometimes several!) and it's a game of catch up bounce tag.

I was able to get this work due to lurking here, getting critique on the forums/irc/doing challenges and improving from the whelpling I once was a few years back. So, in essence, my lack of activity here is directly related to the effectiveness of this pixel art community. I haven't even had a chance to properly update my portfolio thread or website with even mildly recent stuff due to always having freelance work to take care of first.

So I guess "thanks, hope to be back" and "sheesh get off my back" both fit the bill. You lovely jerks.

Offline Diggyspiff

• View Profile

Reply #54 on: June 18, 2013, 08:46:16 pm
Heya,

I know I'm new here and all but this seems like a neat project getting some action recently. Would be cool to see some more people contributing little bits and helping refine what is already there.  It also encourages cross community action which I think is a cool idea.

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=15462.0

Take care,

Diggy