AuthorTopic: Restoring the former glory of Pixelation!  (Read 24757 times)

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile
    • Doctor Who - Retro Sprite Gallery

Re: Restoring the former glory of Pixelation!

Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 10:39:04 am
I doube the stats could go far that back.  I'm sure it was a different site back then.  Different address, different host, but still Pixelation.
NES, Amiga & Amstrad CPC inspired
I know nothing about pixel art
http://carnivac.tumblr.com/

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 02:45:21 pm
The biggest thing with Pixelation slowness is that the mods are growing up and all have to deal with life. I can't pressure Ptoing or anyone else to finish up the skin when I barely have time to create new challenges and do critique myself. We add new people to the moderation team every once in a while hoping that the new blood will push the place and that does happen for a while but it doesn't seem to be enough.

For me the staple of what Pixelation's doing is on the critique board, when people ask for help and they get it. The rest is community building. I realize it's the community building that gets more people here, though.

Offline Corinthian Baby

• Meditating Pixel Placement
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 03:44:29 pm
I was thinking of red and blue when I made my first post. Even back in 09 I wanted to take a look at how the pokemon style has evolved. Especially with new res and tech they've maintained that blocky look with some success over the years.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 04:21:47 pm
The stats go as far back as Pixelopolis, after the hack/dataloss of the blue forum.

There is a skin which is quite far done already, but I need to make some more art for it and Crow needs to do more on it as well, but as Helm said, I do not have as much time as I used to anymore. But it will happen, eventually.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline tim

• Founder of Odd Tales - Art Director
    • View Profile
    • Tim Soret - Showreel

Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 08:08:05 pm
I would like to be involved also.

As you may have seen, I have some free time and I would like a lot to help developping the community and making this forum more active.
Are we allowed to create participative topics like the totem one if we're not part of the moderation team ? What prevents us from creating
contests ? "Let's revamp Pokemon Red" / "Imagine a pixel art version of Abe's Odyssee" / "Reinvent 3D modern games you love in 2D pixel art".

There is so much potential.
Founder of Odd Tales
Art Director - Game Director - Game designer - Motion designer

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 09:12:23 pm
Maybe the Challenges & Activities board could be split into an official and an in-official board where members could create their own activities and challenges. It would be kind of self-regulated, interesting challenges would automagically bubble up to the top via user participation and the ones which aren't getting any attention... well... they'd just not get any.  :P

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 10:06:19 pm
I would like to be involved also.

As you may have seen, I have some free time and I would like a lot to help developping the community and making this forum more active.
Are we allowed to create participative topics like the totem one if we're not part of the moderation team ? What prevents us from creating
contests ? "Let's revamp Pokemon Red" / "Imagine a pixel art version of Abe's Odyssee" / "Reinvent 3D modern games you love in 2D pixel art".

There is so much potential.

Contests. I support this notion.  ;D

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 10:35:37 pm
Idea: if you want to do activities, throw me a PM. If they're good/acceptable, you can do them. Not too many at once, so I'll regulate them. I'm assuming that's okay with the other members of the staff. If there's anything wrong with that, tell me please. I'd really like to see some activity in the activity forum though ;D
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: May 23, 2013, 03:32:53 am
I really do miss the commercial critiques. Something about picking apart graphics we all know(and maybe love), and getting an insight into them and the thought process behind the pixels.

Offline Azuyre

• ryuzach
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: May 23, 2013, 05:37:39 am
I would definitely be interested in doing some of the activities you guys have mentioned. Revamping the graphics of an old game seems like a pretty cool idea, Arne just did that with SML and it came out really well.

I've been coming here for a long time to read up on critiques and tips on pixel art in general, but I never got around to starting an account until while after the site changed to this basic theme. I really liked the old one though, are you guys planning anything similar for the new skin or is it going to be something completely new?