AuthorTopic: Tile connections?  (Read 3053 times)

Offline Azuyre

• ryuzach
    • View Profile

Tile connections?

on: June 09, 2013, 01:01:30 am
I've been working on putting together tilesheets a lot lately and was wondering if I could get some advice about planning out which tile connections to make for the sheets. I put together a group of all the common tiles and their connections, as well as some that I seem rather obscure and unlikely to be used:

I'm mainly wondering the best way to plan out a tile sheet with a lot of interconnecting tiles, when it comes to just the plain square tiles it's about 41 tiles when you include every connection, but with the addition of slopes it adds a lot more and it gets to the point where it seems like an unnecessarily large amount of tiles for each sheet. :P

Is it a good idea to create connector tiles in a way that they work with the slopes in addition to the square tiles? Or should I make separate tiles for when the slopes connect to other tiles? It seems like the latter option is a lot more work that could prove to make little difference in the end.

The game I'm working probably won't have a lot of crazy use of slopes, likely something similar to Super Mario World or some of the older Kirby games.

Offline hapiel

• PJ mod
    • hapiel
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9092.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Tile connections?

Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 07:37:04 pm
If you put all the straight edges on a second tile you can remove pretty much all of the left half of your image. You would then need one middle tile and 8 outer edges + 4 inner corners, which gives you a total of 13 tiles instead of the 45 you have now. You would still need to make slopes of course, but all the extra slopes with their top/bottom/side edges can be removed.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 11:58:09 am
The game I'm working probably won't have a lot of crazy use of slopes, likely something similar to Super Mario World or some of the older Kirby games.

... which already had a good deal of angles, esp. in cave sets.

By the way, your tilesheet give currently the impression that you should work with tiles that are half that large, and where you'd have at most one corner per tile.

Offline Azuyre

• ryuzach
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 09:24:55 pm

... which already had a good deal of angles, esp. in cave sets.

By the way, your tilesheet give currently the impression that you should work with tiles that are half that large, and where you'd have at most one corner per tile.
I forgot that they had those two extra angles, I guess I'm probably fine with the ones I have for now.

Would it make any sense to make all the main tiles the normal size and then make four half tiles for the inner edges? So for example keeping the 20 tiles on the top left of my example sheet and then making four tiles that could be overlaid on any of the bigger ones, like this:

That way I'd have more space to use on the main tiles and the fact that I'm repeating the same tiles for the ground wouldn't be as noticeable. Though I was planning to make a few tiles that could be swapped out to help break up the repetition anyway.