AuthorTopic: Victorian-inspired living room [WIP]  (Read 2988 times)

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Victorian-inspired living room [WIP]

on: May 19, 2013, 06:31:22 am

The stuff stuck to the bottom-right corner was stuff I was saving in case I might wanna look at that later. Forgot to remove that to make this more presentable on the forums but what the heck. The random rectangle which our character is sitting is gonna be one of those fancy armchairs.

So, I'm looking to improve on my craft of tilesets. This is not made for any particular game project. I would like to make a Victorian-inspired living room with a character quietly reading a book. I also intend this to be as well-rendered as what I manage to do with this earlier experiment:

(Canopy tiling sucks but I learned a lot from it seeing how SD3 is better at the same tiling approach I copied.  :()

I'll be posting my progress as I go.  Let me know if there's anything at this early stage that is worth pointing out. Color scheming, proportions, perspective, interior design, stuff about the big picture. I feel a bit clueless with the couch as I'm noticing that RPG perspective looks weird with vertically-elongated forms like the sofa. I haven't studied Victorian/steampunk stuff enough but it's a setting I'm interested in gaining a bit of familiarity.

Offline Letmethink

• Lol!
    • View Profile

Re: Victorian-inspired living room [WIP]

Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 09:00:31 am
It seems that your sofa didn't really have a sense of depth to it. the main bit it seems to be not thick at all. I made a quick edit here:

I also added a shadow to make it match the table. Perhaps adding a shadow to other objects.
I can't be bothered to make a signature. Seriously, who has time to write these things? I have stuff to do, games to make, and you expect me to write a big, long signature?  I'm not your slave. You can't tell me what to do, so no, I WON'T write a signature.

Oh, wait...

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Re: Victorian-inspired living room [WIP]

Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 10:03:09 pm
Update. I went a bit farther defining my forms and tried adding some more furniture.

I know I'm gonna need to do more research to go farther but as it is, I'm gonna need to focus on conveying a night time scene. I unwittingly gave myself a challenge knowing that the kinds of light sources I gave myself are a bit obnoxious for tiles  :ouch:

And, the box in the corner is gonna be a grandfather's clock. lol I created an out-of-place gray color only for the sake of making that top plane visible.