AuthorTopic: Animated Tank  (Read 6739 times)

Offline Wanyo

• <3
    • View Profile

Re: Animated Tank

Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 03:02:54 pm
I like the track arc but it doesn't seem to feel right in movement unless you plan on having both high and low points varying. Right now it looks like either the high points in the terrain are at both ends or the tank is being floated above the terrain the entire time. Are you planning on varying where the wheels are even more vertically to simulate it better?

In other thoughts, I love the tank design and even the cartoony bounce seemed to do it justice as much as it was panned.  :y: Also the original "party hard" made me laugh because I accidentally made a character look like he was break dancing a couple days ago and it ended up a "party hard" animated gif. Wasn't my best story, I know...
<3

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 12:57:02 am
Its a great tank but I feel the canon barrel could use some improvement. Its an important part of the tank so its a shame to see it lost against the grey road.

Regarding animation, I haven't read all this but one thing I'm seeing is that your mostly using 2 frames in which everything moves at once.
Try separating the pieces and moving them separately at their own rates.
For example the tail pipes can vibrate quickly from side to side, and add some smoke puffs for effect.
You can try subpixeling the main body to give the impression of it changing angle rather than just up and down.
Then you can have the turret section bounce up and down in delayed reaction to the main body movement at say half the rate.
On all pieces you can try subpixeling into outline by making it green some frames (try half way between highlight and black), dunno if thats a good idea but worth a shot.

BTW, I LOVE the little soldier guys they're awesome!
Would love to see them running around with guns, ducking for cover, throwing grenades etc  ;D

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 02:08:02 am
Wayno, hm I see what you mean, but isn't that only if the tracks would be completely straight?
And I have been thinking about the wheels bouncing up and down.

As Decroded pointed out that a delayed bounce for the parts would make it more natural, so it would make sense to start with the tracks/wheels, then the body and finally turret.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 04:06:22 am
Oh yeah you can make the individual wheels go up and down to follow the bumps in the groud, and maybe adjust the track arc and body movement to flow from that.  :y:
As Wanyo say, the track arc like that while its stationary makes no sense.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 04:49:58 am
Oh yeah you can make the individual wheels go up and down to follow the bumps in the groud, and maybe adjust the track arc and body movement to flow from that.  :y:
As Wanyo say, the track arc like that while its stationary makes no sense.

Yeah, I guess the middle wheel is making it look weird, no tank would have a single wheel sitting below the others in the middle.
Maybe I'll try having the 3 wheels in the middle sit much lower than the others. Possibly increasing the front and rear wheels in size too.

These were two of the tanks I had in mind when drawing, but I only drew from memory, so it would look original.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 10:35:27 am by Seiseki »

Offline Wanyo

• <3
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 04:38:44 pm
I always forget to look at actual footage of what I'm trying to make.  :crazy:

After looking at some tank footage I feel like the wheels barely move vertically even while on uneven terrain, maybe just a pixel of movement at most if you want to demonstrate it. Even the iconic metal slug tanks do it similarly with little-to-no actual wheel movement and only just a little tread give.

I'm pretty impressed that you did it straight from memory, the details are awesome!
<3