Critique > Devlogs & Projects

ANTRAXX - Bringing Back The Isometric Mech Shooter

<< < (2/3) > >>

Helm:
The critique is spot-on about the overbusy ground tiles. Also if the engine allows, fake drop shadows would do wonders for the structures. The don't have to be super realistic.

Seiseki:
I did a rough edit over at Tigs. Posting it here as well.
I'm curious what you think of having a blur effect, since I know a lot of pixel artists hate shaders/filters :D

I'd actually love to see the level design looking more functional, like adding roads and buildings.
And even having maps taking place on planets, with terrain, buildings, etc.

Right now it's rather abstract which I think makes it feel less realistic, like why are we fighting on platforms in space instead of inside cities and military bases with cars to stomp on and buildings to tear down.

tim:
I was doing to do almost the same edit. It's incredibly better without these yellow stripes everywhere. They need to help understanding the level design, the key areas, the ramps, the heights, the walkable areas, etc... However the blur is really unecessary and doesn't add anything. When you play the focus is not on the mech, but on the level, the opponents, so you need to have the entire screen really readable. It's not a movie where you direct the eye, it is a game, the player can look where he wants.

Last thing : change the logo. It looks like a pure Metal Slug ripoff.

Seiseki:
Now that you mentioned it.

After having them side by side it is a complete ripoff..
The 4 has been patched up quite roughly by copy pasting bits.

They did mention that several artists have been contributing to the project, I just hope who ever did this haven't stolen more graphics.

META4:
The logo is indeed a alteration from Metalslug. Sorry for not mentioning we are still working on a replacement. All other art is created from scratch. The artists working on the project all have remodeled my own concepts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version