AuthorTopic: [PAID] Robotech Top Down Art  (Read 4697 times)

Offline Bad_Syntax

• View Profile

[PAID] Robotech Top Down Art

on: May 15, 2013, 03:56:50 pm
I am spending way too much money on the Robotech kickstarter, but want to do a computer game for it (not commercial).  However, I simply *must* have top down graphics of stuff in order to do this, and even though Robotech has been around 25 years there is very very little in the way of new graphics for it.

Soooo, I'll pay money for art of Robotech stuff, top down views, in a few different color schemes (I may be able to change colors if they are grayscale, like http://goodsects.gotdns.com/rrt/striga.gif)

A few things:
2 scales:
Mecha Scale:  Perhaps 15 pixels per meter or so, must be able to draw a human next to a 15m tall mecha. 
Starship Scale:  The smallest is maybe 50m wide, the largest 6000m or so long

The macross saga will be part 1, followed by the other sagas.

There is tons of resources online for this.

It'd be a freebie game of my own making, I know I could make Harmony Gold upset, but I'd still do this even if I'm the only one who could enjoy them.

I don't think there are 20 starships total, maybe 50 mecha total, but I'm guessing... it isn't that much.  I can get more details if you require and can list stuff out and give art.

I'm also open, especially for starships, to custom designs that still fit within the theme.  Damaged versions are a plus, as are any animations for things like wings folding back, weapons fire, missile trails, and transformations.  I'd also consider some isometric art, obviously thats quite a bit harder though.

These need to be non-anti-aliased pixel art.

Shoot me an email/PM with prices per mecha and per starship averages, or if you need more detail but would still be interested.

If the price is ok, we could move on this today.  I'd need to see some demo art and I am amiable to any sort of payment arrangements.

Bad_Syntax at Yahoo.com
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 04:10:28 pm by Bad_Syntax »

Offline DaLk

• View Profile

Re: [PAID] Robotech Top Down Art

Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 08:17:47 pm
i kind of disagree with the "it isn't that much. " as sounds like a two-weeks task, at the very least, unless you have a four figure budget, that is.

Offline Bad_Syntax

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 09:38:21 pm
i kind of disagree with the "it isn't that much. " as sounds like a two-weeks task, at the very least, unless you have a four figure budget, that is.

Well I wasn't looking at getting it done in a day.  A month or more would be fine.  And a four figure budget would be acceptable depending on quality and quantity.

Offline Bad_Syntax

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 10:31:35 pm
Here is a list of the units I'd need for the Macross Saga:
Mecha/Vehicles:
 RDF, Destroid Tomahawk
 RDF, Destroid Defender
 RDF, Destroid Phalanx
 RDF, Destroid Spartan
 RDF, Destroid Monster
 RDF, Veritech VF-1 (3 modes, 6 different heads)
 RDF, Armored Veritech VF-1 (1 mode, 6 different heads).  This is really an overlay for the previous mesh as it can be jettisoned.
 RDF, Super VF-1 Veritech (3 modes, 6 different heads).  This is really an overlay for the previous mesh as it can be jettisoned.
 RDF, F-203 Dragon II
 RDF, MiM-31 Karyovin
 RDF, S-12 Avenger
 RDF, AH-68 Commanchero
 RDF, SH-62 Sea Sergeant
 RDF, LH-2000 Snoop
 RDF, ES-11 Cat's Eye
 RDF, EC-33B Tiger's Eye
 RDF, VC-27 Tunny
 RDF, VC-33 Mom's Kitchen
 RDF, SF-3A Lancer II
 RDF, QF-3000 Ghost
 RDF, SHC-08 Star Goose
 RDF, EVRP-1 Spiderbug
 Zentraedi, Regult
 Zentraedi, Gluuhaug-Regult
 Zentraedi, Serauhaug-Regult
 Zentraedi, Quel-Regult
 Zentraedi, Glaug
 Zentraedi, Glaug-Eldare
 Zentraedi, Nousjadeul-Ger
 Zentraedi, Queadlunn-Rau
 Zentraedi, Gnerl
 Zentraedi, Heavy Infantry
 Zentraedi, Light Infantry
 Zentraedi, Quel-Gulnau Recovery Pod
 Zentraedi, Quel-Quallie Cyclops

Starships:
 RDF, Oberth
 RDF, ARMD
 RDF, SDF-1
 RDF, Daedalus (part of SDF-1, but want unique as well)
 RDF, Prometheus (part of SDF-1, but want unique as well)
 Zentraedi, Liewneuatzs Shuttle
 Zentraedi, Frandlar-Tiluvo Reentry Pod
 Zentraedi, Tou-Redir Scout
 Zentraedi, Thuverl-Salan Destroyer
 Zentraedi, Quiltra-Quelamitz Destroyer
 Zentraedi, Quiltra-Queleual Landing Ship
 Zentraedi, Queadol-Magdomilla Command Ship (2 parts that unite)
 Zentraedi, Nupetiet-Vergnits Flagship (4km long, biggest starship)

Some bonuses in this:
- Animation, even if just 2D, of the veritechs transforming between each mode, Daedalus opening, armored armor jettison, etc
- Damage textures for the units
- Support for various color schemes
- Listing of pixels that are "fire points".  Basically x/y coordinates on the image where a particular beam/gun/missile is created from
- Any animations, like blinky lights, idle animations, afterburners, explosions, etc

Offline DaLk

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 11:50:28 pm
just checked scales and sizes ; about "weeks", make it "months".  and the 4 into a 5 to add all "bonuses"

I don't mind, but are you really sure to pay months of work for something that could be taken down with a legal notice ?
ok, things could be modified afterwards, but that would add on the top of existing costs

Offline Bad_Syntax

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 05:11:56 am
just checked scales and sizes ; about "weeks", make it "months".  and the 4 into a 5 to add all "bonuses"

I don't mind, but are you really sure to pay months of work for something that could be taken down with a legal notice ?
ok, things could be modified afterwards, but that would add on the top of existing costs

I was going to ask Palladium books about getting permission, but if they say no I would still plan on doing it, just that distribution would be far more limited and have to be "my friends" to comply with fair use.

I can't see how this could take 4 months.  I would think artistic folks could knock out at 150 pixel square grayscale image in a couple hours or less... maybe I'm just not getting it. 

I'll go tinker with this myself, but I know anything I make won't be as good as somebody else, and I'd still be interested in getting some quotes from folks, especially the mecha.