AuthorTopic: Title Screen for a game I'm working on [WIP][C+C]  (Read 5862 times)

Offline Wanyo

• <3
    • View Profile
Hello everybody!
Recently I whipped up some graphics for a Ludum Dare game with a couple of my friends and we decided to go farther with it so I'm working on fixing up a lot of the visuals starting with having a real title screen. This is what I have so far, I think I'll animate it a little after I tweak it up and figure out how i want to do it. Any critiques anyone could offer to really bring it up to snuff would be greatly appreciated, thanks! <3

3x for visibility:

1x unscaled:
<3

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Re: Title Screen for a game I'm working on [WIP][C+C]

Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 07:12:16 am
It looks good, but the background is dark, which makes it hard to see the lines coming off the logo. Is the floor broken tiles? If it is, you might want to show a few more tiles in tact to make it more obvious what the floor is made of.
Looks cool though. Liking the texture on the rock and the general atmosphere! =)

Ah, also, this forum has a zoom/unzoom feature, so you can just post everything in 1x to save yourself a bit of work. Just click on an image to zoom in, control + click to zoom out. =)

Offline Wanyo

• <3
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 07:54:59 pm
I totally agree with the lines, I have a newer version with them a lighter shade and I may even take the background up a little.

The tiles aren't exactly floor tiles but more tiles in a game sense of the way if that makes any sense. I'm definitely going to try and add some definition in the first row or so to show it coming apart more.

I seen that there was a zoom function but for some reason it never clicked when I was posting this, woops!  :blind:
<3

Offline AlucardX60

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 06:36:56 am
I think the AA on the cracks is a bit too much. Makes it look blurred to me.
I'm also wandering what the lines are exactly. At first I thought blood in which case it shouldn't bend at a right angles all the time.
Finally there's something bugging me about the text at the bottom. I can't tell what it is exactly. Their color? Their simplicity? Sorry I can't explain it.

Offline Wanyo

• <3
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 02:05:28 am
Really good call on the crack AA, I meant for them to feel like parts were indented but it never felt quite right so I think I just went too heavy on it.

As for the lines, they're kind of weird circuitry / wires /whatever you want to call it that has ties with the rest of the game and the tilesets.

...and the text at the bottom I've been fighting with a bit, I didn't want to go too intense with the details while having it stand out. I feel like it's important that it's easy to read and be functional for selecting, think I just bombed it out. I'm definitely going to take another shot at making it better, I may even just re-do it differently.

Also thanks so much for the feedback guys, so nice to have someone's fresh eyes take a look at it! My coding buddy and I are getting together on the weekend to work on the game in our own little jam so I should be back with some major progress and maybe more sprites to look towards making better!
<3

Offline Wanyo

• <3
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 04:02:00 pm
So we decided to prioritize a bit differently and I didn't get to work on the title screen but I did spend a lot of time working on a series of animations for our character which ended up taking all weekend pretty much. That said I should probably just use this thread for all manner of things relating to it rather than cluttering with multiple threads. Should I change the title of this thread, is that sort of thing allowed/cool to do?

Here is some animations I have been working on, any C+C is appreciated, I know some of it is far from perfect, I'm still working on learning this animation thing and a hunk of it is leftover from the game jam so I'm sure there's quite a bit of clean up work to do:

A few character animations:

Enemy Sprites:

Go reminder:
<3

Offline Wanyo

• <3
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 06:31:49 am
I spent a little time over the past few days working on the Title Screen again cleaning up the crappy AA, working on giving it a bit more of a rock feel to it and I started messing with the text at the bottom, not sure where I'm going with that still though. What do you guys think?

<3

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 06:49:41 am
Can you reupload at images 1:1 ratio? Viewing in Firefox you can click/shift-click the image to zoom and and out without blur.
Not a bad idea to include a 2:1 ratio sometimes though so its viewable from mobile devices which always incur zoom blur as far as I've seen.

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 07:11:59 am
Looking good. Definitely got rid of the blurriness with the newest update.  :y:
I went ahead and did a quick edit, though. You have an almost pure black background, with the only light source being that cool looking floor on the bottom, so I wondered what it would look like if the logo was lit by that light source, instead of just being ambiently lit. I didn't do a great job, but it gets my main idea across, I think:

I think you could probably do a much better job with the execution if you took some time on it; the logo might look really cool being really dark, with only light from underneath. Lots of rim lighting and stuff. Depends on the mood you're going for, though. I have no idea what type of game you're making, so this is just an idea thrown at the wall for you. =)

Offline Wanyo

• <3
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 06:48:02 pm
Wow, your idea totally blew my mind with more ideas flowing like a waterfall!

A big portion of the game has to deal with losing powers and eventually lighting/textures to some extent so you have to use your abilities to navigate the areas that create lighting and such so this idea is right up my alley. On top of this I've been thinking about ideas for animating it and this gives me the perfect idea for keeping a lot of the circuitry things either really dark or black and having light pulse through them. I might even have the rock coloring I currently have flicker out into the lower light source?

Even just the quick color re-do you made makes a huge difference in the feeling of it, I love it and I hope you don't mind if I go with it further! Thanks so much for the brain kickstart!
<3

Offline Wanyo

• <3
    • View Profile

Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 07:17:02 pm
Decroded: I need to stop posting these things when I'm not clear of mind and making silly uploading mistakes, sorry about that! I added a running sprite I forgot about last time.

<3