AuthorTopic: GR#132 - Platform Game - Sideview  (Read 36872 times)

Offline Wanyo

• <3
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Platform Game

Reply #30 on: May 12, 2013, 04:14:44 pm
I like 3 & 13 the most but as Ymedron said it depends a lot on the time of the day you're looking to make it. I think I prefer the color combos because they are less overbearing on the contrast from the foreground thus drawing your eyes less when you want to be focused on the foreground.

Also I really like the start you have for the new forest BG, it says so much more than the wavy lines before! :D
<3

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: May 12, 2013, 05:51:21 pm
Leaf placements? I've did some super-quick studies of trees to get the general gist of how leaves are arranged within one branch. They are nowhere near as random as I used to think of them, because leaf placement only seemed random because I only looked at trees as a whole and not got more intimate with the actual anatomy of a tree.

Some of the leaf placements suggests to me this sort of texture: http://fav.me/d1ozg93

I think that can be avoided if we arrange the leaves more carefully. Wherever you choose to place your branches, leaves should spread out away from them: http://fav.me/d24opt1 http://fav.me/d54fxbn http://fav.me/d3fooo0 http://petersonphotos.deviantart.com/art/Stock-Branches-and-Leaves-127335289

There ought to be more sources for how leaves are arranged within a branch but hopefully what I shown you should give us some idea of what sort of references to seek out. Once I realized that's what I ought to look for, foliage became a lot more intuitive for me.  :)

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: May 12, 2013, 08:51:32 pm
I noticed that on all of your versions they all had the cloudy bits going down in value. I tried making it more like the clouds you see in an everyday sky.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #33 on: May 12, 2013, 09:04:29 pm
http://i.imgur.com/N21Fh3L.png for me.

I note highilghts on the windows that mostly look like single-pixel noise, btw.

Offline BlackFang

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: May 12, 2013, 09:19:54 pm
 Mr. Fahrenheit: Even though your palette is more like real life, i want a fantasy game, realism isn't that necessary. Anyway, i think you got it wrong, Clouds are white and the sky is blue, you painted it the other way. Anyway your edit look really cool, since blue is my favorite color, I'm always attracted to high saturated blue skies.

Pix3M: thanks for the info that's very useful, but how do i do that creating tiles that can have multiple intercalated branches? In the end is not the leaves that are displaced at random, its the sum of depth + branches + leaves. and they must look cool when placed side by side

Wayno: Yeah, i might end choosing 3 mainly because of the mood, this game will have plenty of open places where i can put the craziest sky palette (my favorite color among those is the 10, but I don't think it fit with the mood)

PypeBros: thats the Anti aliasing, i will get it right once i define the colors of the sky, the AA was made for the third BG

As for the Forest BG, I reduced the layers to just 2, i think that's enough, here how it is so far:

I posted this on pixeljoint, but that doesn't mean I'm finished with this piece, until the game is released or discontinued everything is subject to change

http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/77960.htm?sec=date

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: May 12, 2013, 11:46:58 pm
Pix3M: thanks for the info that's very useful, but how do i do that creating tiles that can have multiple intercalated branches? In the end is not the leaves that are displaced at random, its the sum of depth + branches + leaves. and they must look cool when placed side by side

This is a problem I need to spend more time with. However, looking at how Seiken Densetsu 3 tiles their leaves, I copied the manner they do that:

You can easily see the tile grid with the canopies but it gets the job done of hiding the individual trees by basically blending them into each other.

Offline BlackFang

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: May 25, 2013, 04:09:39 pm
Pix3m that's some cool mockup! i love seiken 3 style, one of my favorites SNES games

I'm currently working on a cloudy night sky and a rocky mountain scenario, but i don't know if i'm putting too much detail into it, what do you guys think?

Offline BlackFang

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: June 08, 2013, 02:22:46 pm
I don't know if this is considered a double post since i have made some progress, if it is I'll just delete it.
I just want some C+C on this piece because i want to finish it as fast as possible since i'm already got bored on it. (i haven't started on the moon yet)

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Reply #38 on: June 08, 2013, 03:06:54 pm
Maybe more lightning in the area close to the moon, or just lighter colors in general?

I can tell you that the upper right part is making me sort of anxious... :lol:

Offline epigeios

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: June 18, 2013, 10:54:53 am
It took me a while to realize this because your shading is quite good, but I don't see any highlights.  I don't see any specular reflections.  Shading is for setting the tone and shape.  Highlights are for giving fuel to the imagination for the defining characteristics, and for showing the curvature.

On the big trees, for example, I think there should be a few thin stripes of one shade higher to point out the direction of the light source, indicate that it is a 3D surface, draw the eye to pay attention to details, and provide an extra level of depth.  I think all landmarks, like the gargoyle, need highlights to make them memorable.  And I think the clouds could use some highlights to make them look like clouds, and to draw a bit of attention to the background (because the background is a type of landmark).

The night sky definitely needs some highlights to show that the moon has a strong effect on illuminating the clouds.  The brightest shade of cloud there is good for a highlight on the nearby cloud formations.  Also I feel as though there should be some bright, wispy aspects to the clouds.  You seem to have added hints of wispy aspects to the clouds, but they're not lit up by the moonlight.

Lastly, I like #s 03, 04, and 06.
03, to me, has the same feel as the building.
04, to me, has the feeling of a happier, more comfortable sky, although still dark and ominous.  This then contrasts with the castle walls to make the interior feel a lot more intimidating; with the only solace being the dark purple visible through the windows.
06, to me, has the opposite effect.  Outside is dangerous, inside is the only solace.  The windows are there to remind me that things are going to get worse very soon.
The backgrounds with changing colors don't work for me.  They seem out-of-place.  If it's supposed to be sunset/sunrise, then the shading, I think, should be a bit reversed, with brightness coming from below the clouds.
The green color background, 09, is too similar in color to the foreground elements, making everything seem to blend together in a confusing way.