AuthorTopic: GR#132 - Platform Game - Sideview  (Read 36866 times)

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Re: [WIP] Plataform Game

Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 07:53:32 pm
Also, the pillar the gargoyle is sitting on, it's not something the player collides with right? In that case it should be the same dark tone as the background. At least darker than the actual foreground blocks you can walk on top of.

Offline BlackFang

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Plataform Game

Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 03:48:47 am
Seiseki - Yeah, i agree with you about the wall contrast, i will add more colors for the background instead of using the ones on the foreground, since this work is not about restrictions the number of colors doesn't really matter. You're also right about the gargoyle pillar, i will change it

About the whole palette, i see your point, but in the same time i think that achieved the exact mood i'm looking for - an abandoned, creepy and mossy ruins (not necessarily evil), your palette while still interesting kinda ruined it. But since you mentioned it, i would like more opinions on this point from other people.

YellowLime - Really? I really thought i scored on that gargoyle, i don't have much experience in anatomy, so it would help if you point where it needs some work. And you are almost right, i speak Portuguese, and we also call it 'plataforma'

Regarding the tree, i made a quick lineart inspired on this picture http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/334/1/5/at_the_feet_of_a_giant_tree_by_uneaskan-d33xqj3.jpg

what do you guys think?

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: [WIP] Platform Game

Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 09:38:14 am
interresting start for the giant tree, but it will need more interaction with the ground, imho. Seing a perfectly horizontal ground next to that feels somewhat awkward.

As for the coloring, to be honest, when the picture swaps to seisiki's palette, I've got the feeling that someone removed the plastic glass that was in front of my eyes and that I finally see things clearly.

Offline BlackFang

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 12:49:58 pm
Any idea on how it could interact with the foreground? or how the foreground could interact with the background? But need to keep in mind that there are tiles and they define the player movement

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 01:30:54 pm
Any idea on how it could interact with the foreground? or how the foreground could interact with the background? But need to keep in mind that there are tiles and they define the player movement

Not sure about the tree in particular, but you could add grass tufts, rocks and roots that go in front of the player to make it seem more uneven..

Also, for the mossy palette, you can still do that but with more contrast. If you want a foggy feel you could add a fog layer near the bottom of the screen.

Offline BlackFang

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 03:54:27 pm
What do you guys think? I'm still figuring out how to make an appropriate texture for it, and i'll throw some plants too

-edit- once i finish it i will make some root tiles to be in front of the player, great idea Seiseki

-edit2-
Also, what about this palette? (I may have missed some pixels because i only use MS paint, i had to use the eraser to change)

Old one to compare:

« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 05:02:19 pm by BlackFang »

Offline tim

• Founder of Odd Tales - Art Director
    • View Profile
    • Tim Soret - Showreel

Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 09:58:35 pm
The tree is a lot better, maybe a few grass patches under the roots might help to blend it into the ground. The overall palette is still really too bland. It's looks like you added a sepia filter to the image, I prefer Seiseki's colors a lot.
Founder of Odd Tales
Art Director - Game Director - Game designer - Motion designer

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 10:35:25 pm
Also, what about this palette? (I may have missed some pixels because i only use MS paint, i had to use the eraser to change)
I also use MSPaint but you should look into some other free alternatives to at least make up for MSPaints short-comings. I don't use Photoshop for pixel-art, but it is very convenient to have it when I need to do some color-swapping or other things MSPaint can't do. Not that you should get Photoshop, but any of the free alternatives out there most likely has a non-contiguous bucket fill that will probably save you a ton of time.

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 10:46:24 pm
(I may have missed some pixels because i only use MS paint, i had to use the eraser to change)

I hope you atleast know that in MS paint you can increase the size of the tools indefinetly by holding CTRL and +.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 11:28:00 pm
I also use MSPaint but you should look into some other free alternatives to at least make up for MSPaints short-comings. I don't use Photoshop for pixel-art, but it is very convenient to have it when I need to do some color-swapping or other things MSPaint can't do. Not that you should get Photoshop, but any of the free alternatives out there most likely has a non-contiguous bucket fill that will probably save you a ton of time.

Yeah, this x 1000!
Swapping the colors in photoshop took no time at all. It allows you to try various palettes really easily and quickly.

I still think the sky needs to be in a different tone. You can also increase the saturation of the brick colors.
You have such a lovely bright blue sky and clear colors in the other mockup, you should strive towards keeping that. Even if you go for a mossy, overgrown look.