AuthorTopic: GR#132 - Platform Game - Sideview  (Read 36869 times)

Offline BlackFang

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Platform Game

Reply #40 on: July 29, 2013, 02:04:53 pm
 Hi again guys, sorry i have been busy (college) lately and haven't replied, but now i'm ready to continue working on this game.

epigeios - Yeah, you're right, ill try to add some highlights on those pieces, thanks for the insight!

Right now I'm stuck at detailing the moon, it was based on this picture but I cant seem to get it right:
http://d1jqu7g1y74ds1.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Full-Moon.jpg

Any thoughts?

Offline Anarkhya

• View Profile
    • Hello, this is what I do

Reply #41 on: July 29, 2013, 03:39:19 pm
This cloudy night scene is astonishing, really  :y:

About your moon, I think it's a ref issue, this is probably a kind of macro shoot not designed to fit in a scene from a human eye viewpoint, I'd say you have to kill the contrast and maybe bring in some blue, like this:

Offline Hideon

• View Profile

Reply #42 on: July 29, 2013, 06:23:12 pm
I think it could be a good idea make the clouds darker than the sky. It makes more sense to me. Also I want to suggest adding an halo on the moon.

Well I'm not great at art, but this makes me better 'night' feelings.

Offline BlackFang

• View Profile

Reply #43 on: August 01, 2013, 12:58:58 am
Right now im trying to decide between these 3 variations:

1)

Anarkhya, after i finished the number 1 variation, it really looks more like our moon, but then i realized that this is a fantasy game, so i prefer to chose the most stylish one, even if it is technically wrong. In the end i really liked the result, but now i can't really chose between these 3.

Hideon, I got the inspiration on this scene by looking at the sky at my home on one night. I remember clearly that the clouds' color value were almost the same as the sky, changing only the saturation, to the point that i had to concentrate to see any difference. But in the end your edit is visually better, so thanks for that! I followed your advice. And the halo, that was really a nice touch.

My next move is to remove the 'spikiness' on the clouds' highlights near the moon.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #44 on: August 01, 2013, 01:42:54 am
only seeing this on my phone screen but for a background of a playable area its deff version 1 with the washed out moon since this shows there is atmosphere between us and the moon.
I would experiment with some slightly brighter highlights on the clouds.
I think they look great as they are but can do without all the circly bumps or spikes as I think ur calling it.
and dont limit the highlights to only the inside edge.
Try having some areas where the cloud is a little thinner so the light is shining through. You can basically use this alone to define the form of the clouds.
remember the top of the cloud where we cant see is all very bright and only our side on the bottom is the dark area where the volume is thick enough to cast a shadow.

Offline Anarkhya

• View Profile
    • Hello, this is what I do

Reply #45 on: August 01, 2013, 10:19:37 pm
Anarkhya, after i finished the number 1 variation, it really looks more like our moon, but then i realized that this is a fantasy game, so i prefer to chose the most stylish one, even if it is technically wrong. In the end i really liked the result, but now i can't really chose between these 3.

Reality concerns aside, I see 2 and 3 as kind of more dramatic with 3 being a bit more interesting at color level. Don't let this stop you though, because it's a game the player won't even stare at this moon like we do, from player's viewpoint this is a minor detail. You've set up a very convincing ambiance already, no matter which moon you'll choose (:

Offline BlackFang

• View Profile

Reply #46 on: August 07, 2013, 11:44:23 am
Here is what i got with the background so far:

I'm almost satisfied with it, just need to start the changes above the moon.
In the meantime, the guy in our group that was responsible for the character's concept left us, and now i'll have to do that on my own. The problem is that I suck at anatomy, so I'm in need of some help here. The idea of this character is that he is a king's guard (with fancy armor), but when he was a kid he suffered an accident, so he is kinda disfigured and blind on his right eye, for that reason he uses a mask under his helm to cover his face.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 12:27:06 pm by BlackFang »

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #47 on: August 08, 2013, 07:20:44 pm
Here is what i got with the background so far:

I really like the amount of detail you're going for. However, a common problem I've noticed when people make large pieces with a high detail level is that the pieces tend to lack depth. One of the many depth cues we use for depth perception is the texture gradient, i.e. that details grow smaller with distance. Uniform textures thus tend to appear flat. If you vary the size of some parts of the cloud texture, parts of the cloud would appear to be closer to the viewer. At the moment it seems like the whole cloud is on the same level.

While we're on the topic of depth cues, the most significant depth cue is occlusion. At the moment, no part of the cloud seems to be occluded by another part of the cloud. If you were to add some elements which are more clearly placed between the viewer and the rest of the cloud, it might add some more depth to the image as well.

Looking forward to seeing it finished. :)

Offline BlackFang

• View Profile

Reply #48 on: August 09, 2013, 07:10:46 pm
Arachne, yeah, ure totally right, right now the clouds look like paper sheet... i think its kinda too late to change the size of the details, but ill sure try the occlusion, once i get something done I'll show here.

Quick update on the Knight:

I'm very happy with the metal palette i got, but i can't chose a good one for the golden parts... I also need to put ornaments on the armor like i did to the helmet

Offline r4c7

• View Profile

Reply #49 on: August 10, 2013, 03:51:05 am

Many minor things to make the gold look more like gold. 1st, added a fourth shade for the gold and tweaked palette. If you want to keep the palette low, you could tweak with it to use a same color in the gold color ramp and the armor ramp. 2nd, added bunch of highlights to the gold, both white and the lightest gold color. Very sloppily, though, but I think it helped. 3rd, added some ornate details on the left to try and break up the band there, didn't go too complex. 4th, on the right, tried to add a shadow on the left side of the helm. You already kind of had one, so I just wanted to try and emphasize that. Again, sloppy. Hope I helped, probably missed some stuff and I'm bad at explaining.