AuthorTopic: Selling T-Shirt designs?  (Read 2477 times)

Offline Cage

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Selling T-Shirt designs?

on: May 05, 2013, 09:10:20 pm
Hey Guys.

Kinda looking for sources of extra income, thought I might ask here:

Have anyone here had any experience with selling your own illustrated t-shirts, or other merchandise? If so, did you produce them and sold/shipped by yourself, or used the online services which produce the merchandise and ship it for you? If so, was it an local service or an international one?

Just curious, it's not something to make a living out of, unless you're doing merchandise for a game/book/comic with a cult following :) Especially, I'm wondering about the "you provide the artwork, we produce the merchandise and ship it, you get the cash" services - it kinda seems too good to be true sometimes, and when something sounds "too goo to be true" it's usually a rip-off. Or it might be a bad deal - the service gets little exposure, or the actual % for the artist is low.

But if it works, it's a nice way to promote your art and get some spending money by the way, I guess? Any thoughts and experience?

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Selling T-Shirt designs?

Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 11:14:11 pm
Competition is fierce, though.

See 6 Dollar Shirts yet? SIX DOLLARS. And their selection is huge. The designs are good, too.

Looked into some years ago and it seemed like those companies paid well for good designs. I was think about doing that once.

Offline #36005A

• View Profile

Re: Selling T-Shirt designs?

Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 07:13:59 pm
I have heard good things about Society6. They actually list the profits for sellers in the Seller's Guide. Found a pretty comprehensive review as well.

Another service I'm aware of is Skreened, although I haven't actually heard feedback about them. But certainly an option to look into. Seller info here.