AuthorTopic: [WIP] Tiling works in progress  (Read 8165 times)

Offline Letmethink

• Lol!
    • View Profile

[WIP] Tiling works in progress

on: May 05, 2013, 04:06:17 pm
Today I started work on a grassy platformer tileset. here it is:

Here is a 'very' quick mock up of what a level would look like with this tileset.

I am new to pixel art so this is probably bad. Any suggestions for anything would really be appreciated.

I  think that it is probably a bit repetetive with the texture and I really don't like the grass, can someone modify it for me.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 07:46:06 pm by Letmethink »
I can't be bothered to make a signature. Seriously, who has time to write these things? I have stuff to do, games to make, and you expect me to write a big, long signature?  I'm not your slave. You can't tell me what to do, so no, I WON'T write a signature.

Oh, wait...

Offline bigluc

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Grass floating island tileset

Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 05:45:11 am
Looks like quite a good dirt texture, it's hard to tell if there is a grid at all. However I don't like the triangularness of the shape. Try making textures with more roundness kind of like this:

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 07:48:12 am
Looks like quite a good dirt texture, it's hard to tell if there is a grid at all. However I don't like the triangularness of the shape. Try making textures with more roundness kind of like this:

Interesting example... that one is obviously made of a tile grid. o.O

Offline Letmethink

• Lol!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 08:34:00 am
I tried working on it a bit and got to this tileset, a bit more rounded and a couple more tiles; I added another basic dirt tile.

Here it is:

I added a couple of rounded edges to compare but I still think that the triangular ones are better
I can't be bothered to make a signature. Seriously, who has time to write these things? I have stuff to do, games to make, and you expect me to write a big, long signature?  I'm not your slave. You can't tell me what to do, so no, I WON'T write a signature.

Oh, wait...

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 01:04:30 pm
Triangular looks way more natural than the way Terraria does it, which is not rounder, it's more jaggy.
You should really increase the contrast though.

Offline Letmethink

• Lol!
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 03:13:54 pm
...You should really increase the contrast though.

Is this enough:

Oh, wait...

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 03:16:37 pm
I wouldn't recommend the "terraria" approach either: although the overall shape of the island is interesting, the non-organic squariness of the tileset is too obvious. I'd just say "if your tileset can be used to tile that map, it's not missing any corner tiles".

Quote from: Seiseki
You should really increase the contrast though.
Should he ?

I mean, dirt is meant to be a sort of placeholder, with no gameplay potential, right ? It should not distract the player from important things (platforms, ennemies, bonus ...) by being overly contrasted, despite checking a more contrasted version would help us evaluating the quality of the pixel clusters...

Or did you mean "contrast on the green 'grass'" only ?

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 09:14:14 pm
Yeah sorry, I should have specified that I meant grass vs dirt. Your avatar and terraria are good examples, since the grass stands out clearly.

Try squinting with your eyes to see if it stands out or not.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 09:39:59 pm
I figured that by the Terraria he meant the actual shape formation of the island, rather than the specific tiles and graphics:

Offline Letmethink

• Lol!
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 08:03:14 pm
I have actually decided that I am going to use a larger tileset but something seems wrong with either the colouring or the formation of my main grass tile.

Here is the tile:

Anyone see anything that is drastically wrong?

Oh, wait...