AuthorTopic: pixel art job?  (Read 23710 times)

Offline tim

• Founder of Odd Tales - Art Director
    • View Profile
    • Tim Soret - Showreel

Re: pixel art job?

Reply #40 on: May 07, 2013, 01:45:45 pm
Why do you all want full time positions ? Freelancing is fine.
Founder of Odd Tales
Art Director - Game Director - Game designer - Motion designer

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #41 on: May 07, 2013, 09:05:57 pm
For me it's a matter of stability so I can make plans for my future that extend further than this month's rent.

Offline Corinthian Baby

• Meditating Pixel Placement
    • View Profile

Reply #42 on: May 07, 2013, 09:21:12 pm
Stability is one part of it. A big part. The other for me, would be that working in house thrusts you into an environment where other artists are doing the same thing as you, so you have a lot to learn/inspire from each other, and the camaraderie that comes with that.

Of course if all else fails, this site can  be a surrogate to supply some of that as well, but the in person interaction version of it can go a long way.

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #43 on: May 07, 2013, 09:25:59 pm
Why do you all want full time positions ? Freelancing is fine.

Freelancing is pretty hard.  I've been freelancing here and there for about 10 years, and nowhere near confident enough to quit my day job.  Carnivac was pretty clear about wanting to move cities, that's definitely not something anyone can afford off the bat without something a bit more solid than a handful of potential short contracts.  Your reply seemed a little bit dismissive.

Offline tim

• View Profile
    • Tim Soret - Showreel

Reply #44 on: May 08, 2013, 02:00:27 pm
Freelancing is a real full time job.

If you are freelance, you have to commit to being a freelance : having a website, developping relationships, having strong work ethic, make your name known…
It's very different than doing some freelance at night.

To me it seems a lot more "stable" to be self-sufficient actually, and working for a lot of different clients, than being in one company which can close tomorrow and then you'll have to start everything over and maybe never find another job. We saw so many studios closing these years, it's terrifying, I don't understand how it can be considered "stable" whereas as freelance you can't drown if you're good. A very few companies need pixel art every day, but a lot of companies need pixel art just sometimes, that's why they hire freelance artists when they need, and that's how freelance artists jump from a client to another where they're needed.

Of course your revenue will not be as steady, but it stabilizes over time and you will also have incredible months that will help to not be worry during the bad ones. I'm not even mentionning free time, liberty, ability to work at home, having the time to learn & improve yourself, and all the other benefits of being freelance. Of course if you already have a family it may be too late to start freelancing right now and take that kind of risk, but actually my father did it with 3 children, became a well known freelance photographer in Paris now and everything's ok : he's a lot happier and more free than when he was DJ before, working at night in unhealthy conditions.

It's just possible. "No risk, no reward" I would say.
You have to think big if you want real changes in your life.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 03:20:23 pm by tim »
Founder of Odd Tales

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #45 on: May 08, 2013, 02:28:19 pm
You make a very attractive argument!   :lol:

It's certainly not for everyone, but I'm sure your post will inspire some of us to up our games in this area.   :y:

Offline ilkke

• pix off
    • iLkKke
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/9270.htm
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #46 on: May 09, 2013, 12:23:30 am
If I understand correctly, it was not a matter of Helm and Carnivac not understanding why you prefer to freelance, rather a matter of you not understanding why they want to work full-time.

Still, thanks for sharing your point of view. Here's mine.

I avoided getting a full-time job for ages, thinking it wasn't efficient in terms of time and money, but once I did get one, it learned a lot and it helped me make a clear division between my work time and my free time.
I still feel like I'm wasting my life away spending 8-9 hours in the office every day, but at least I know when I leave the office I'm a free man. Also I don't have to constantly look for work, haggle about prices or deal with late payments. That added up to taking up much more than 9 hours per day of my life.

People are different and have different needs and ideas, that is the whole point.
i

Offline tim

• View Profile
    • Tim Soret - Showreel

Reply #47 on: May 09, 2013, 01:20:34 am
Hum that's true, I understand, but as you are all proving, the situation is not the best for pixel art artists. I was just pointing out another solution in case you really feel stuck. I don't want anybody here to suffer or give up because you don't find suitables companies in your countries… Anyway, buckle down the courage to continue, I hope you will all find something interesting soon, it's disheartening to hear the bad experiences you are all having currently. Best wishes, I'll let you know if I learn about available jobs here in Paris.
Founder of Odd Tales

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile
    • Doctor Who - Retro Sprite Gallery

Reply #48 on: May 09, 2013, 09:55:08 am
Lots of posts since I last looked. Hehe.

yeah I agree with the stability of fulltime work and very much the seperation of leaving your work self at the office and having your private self feel detached from it all.   I've done freelance before and while there were aspects of it I liked (I enjoyed the 'freedom' for one) I don't actually enjoy working at home and find it very isolating and lonely.  I don't have many friends and so I'd like a job I can go to and meet people with similar interests and work together with them on projects, play a few games during breaks, arrange to do social activities with work colleagues outside of work and so on.  Also I like being around creative people and bouncing ideas off each other. 

I emailed Nitrome last Saturday with my CV, covering letter and portfolio.  Just have to wait and see what happens.
NES, Amiga & Amstrad CPC inspired
I know nothing about pixel art
http://carnivac.tumblr.com/

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Reply #49 on: May 09, 2013, 06:39:17 pm
Hey, I wish you luck, for all it's worth :P