AuthorTopic: [WIP] Gold Coins (?)  (Read 4163 times)

Offline Rotflturion

• View Profile

[WIP] Gold Coins (?)

on: May 01, 2013, 01:42:05 pm
Hello!
I am implementing a currency system in my game and I have hit a wall concerning the graphics for it. I don't want it to be just a "number" - I want the money to be an actual item [coins preferably] but I have no idea on how could they look. I would like the sprite to change from 1 coin, to 5 coins, then 10 coins preferably [depending on how many are there in a stack - if you have one coin, it displays a single coin sprite. If you have over 5 of them, it displays a small stack of coins. When you have 10 or more, it displays even bigger stack] - I tried to make simple small coins, but they just looked like yellow cookies. I tried making a "bag" containing coins [that would be the best idea], but I failed badly. Right now I tried dumping the idea of having several, and instead to have one big coin displaying regardless of how many are there in the stack but it still looks like a cookie.
Can anyone give me some directions on how to make it looks like an actual coin and not a sunflower pancake?

Here's the current look of it:

Compared to other objects:

The "cookie" look and irregular borders is one problem, another one is the size - right now it's big as a bucket, and when I make it smaller it gets really ugly and unreadable..
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 01:46:00 pm by Rotflturion »

Offline bigluc

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Gold Coins (?)

Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 03:28:37 am
I'd suggest making the coins a bit thinner and then to make a stack make a darker line showing a divide and another edge of a coin under if that makes sense.

Kind of like this: http://piq.codeus.net/picture/2387/gold_coins

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 11:58:41 am
Hm, I tried to make my own version of a coinstack:

Maybe you can learn something from my attempt? D:
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com

Offline Jonas

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 03:08:56 pm
For me, it's not intuitive having a stack of coins tilted. Having a tilted object is... sort of a display mode, so I immediately think this is a single coin. The other advice are good too. It wouldn't hurt with a bit more shine either, the desaturated(?) colors adds to the cookie...ness.

Offline krasimir

• View Profile
    • Riftforge Online RPG

Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 08:27:51 am
I second the stacks of gold coins. They remind me of Ultima series and especially Ultima online.
Playing: online RPG with  over 4 dozen pixel units and a ton of pixel enemies.
Blog: Diablo 3 item duping

Offline Rotflturion

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 12:07:37 pm
Thank you for your replies! I did play Ultima Online as well, but the coin graphics there were not really any fancy - they did fit the graphical style of the game, but I don't think these would fit my style. I did some tries, but did not really like the result - I dumped the idea of a bag with gold coins, as I use bags for plant seeds so it would be hard to tell whether it's gold, or corn seeds :P