AuthorTopic: Main character for my game  (Read 3156 times)

Offline Marty

• View Profile

Main character for my game

on: April 30, 2013, 06:14:02 pm
So here's a little background first. I'm not an artist, I'm definitely a programmer at heart. It takes me hours to pixelize the visions in my head, and even then it sometimes doesn't come out perfect. :P So I have my main character here:

I've shown a few people and got the initial reaction I was looking for: aww he's cute! I'm mainly looking for help with the eyes, but any other feedback is appreciated as well, considering this is the main character. I wanted the eyes to be easily changed to where he could be looking up or down, but every time I change the eyes he looks funny. I gave him eyebrows so that a simple change could make him look mad. Any ideas?

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Re: Main character for my game

Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 06:35:32 pm
I would try making the eyes bigger.  Have a look at the character from bubble bobble:
http://spriters-resource.com/arcade/bubsymph/sheet/12593

you also have some banding.  Banding is when bands of color line up in a row, basically.  You can read a better description of it here:
http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11299&PID=139322#139322
Its basically around the base of the tail, some of the anti-alaising on the top of the head is creating banding too.

It a little unclear whether that black line in the torso is supposed to outline his arm.  This is because the feet and head are shown at a 3/4 angle, but the arm and tail suggest a strict side view.

Offline Marty

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 11:45:42 pm
Thanks for the feedback! I definitely see what you mean by the 3/4 angle thing. Here's an update:

However, I'm still not sure if the tail looks like it's from a 3/4 angle...and it's apparent I'm pretty bad at the whole shading/anti-aliasing/adding more color thing. :( Would I be better off sticking to a more NES style look?

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 10:05:47 am
some thoughts:

« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 03:35:58 am by PixelPiledriver »
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1