AuthorTopic: Big buff fighter sprite  (Read 3493 times)

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Big buff fighter sprite

on: June 06, 2013, 03:38:56 pm
Hello.

I'd love to get some second opinions and suggestions for this sprite before I do more animations. It's for a fighting game/platformer pet project that I work on in spare moments, and this guy is one of three playable characters in it. I'm extra interested in suggestions for improvements to the design, the setting is cyberpunkey dystopia in an HK-inspired city and he needs to fit nicely into that, but any crits you think of is very welcome of course.

Offline skaytr

• View Profile

Re: Big buff fighter sprite

Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 04:11:38 pm
How Big and Buff is he suppose to be in relation to other Characters?

And in terms of animation, to me he looks like he's squeezing the dudes butt standing in-front of him :P Try closed fists, seeing as you have a hulk stance, it would be quite appropriate. That all depends on his fighting style though!

And I feel the contrast is a little bit to high, Instead of using near white for the highlight, try shifting the hue from the base skin tone and increasing the light just a little bit. same for the shadows, his abdomen kind of gets lost in the middle there hehe.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 04:14:33 pm by skaytr »

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 05:31:23 pm
And in terms of animation, to me he looks like he's squeezing the dudes butt standing in-front of him :P Try closed fists, seeing as you have a hulk stance, it would be quite appropriate. That all depends on his fighting style though!

Ouch, you think? D: Maybe I'll go with less hand movement at least. Yeah. I'll try the fists as well, wanted him to look kinda feral so I'll see what fits him better.

Big and buff as in normal-sized characters are about 65 pixels tall. This one is 77, and that's hunching down.

I see what you mean about the contrast. I'm trying for a stark and bleak look but maybe I overdid it a bit?

Thanks for the input :)

Offline skaytr

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 06:22:55 pm
Ahh cool, thats quite  a bit bigger, The hand movements aren't SO bad :P don't take it the wrong way. Perhaps try more of Fighting stance, or something like this:

Please excuse my super crude edit :S I changed the contrast a little bit, and tried to change the arms abit. I only used the lasso tool to reposition, so its kinda rough, but you can see how alternating the up and down movements is more like a fighting stance than moving both at the same time.

Again, this is only rough. Ideally you would want to offset the movements so they repeat the loop on different frames for each arm, it looks much more natural. (and this is only two quick frames to illustrate 1 point)

HOWEVER, the grab-like animation you have there might work very well if he was hunched over abit more, and the grab was reduced to a twich between 2-3 frames, and were offset by 1 frame per hand.

I don't really have the time to do a full edit, but I hope that gives you some more ideas :)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 06:24:52 pm by skaytr »

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 04:21:13 pm
Please excuse my super crude edit :S

Hehe, it's all good. I'm pressed for time myself. Haven't had time to mess with the hands yet but did a palette-tweak at least.

Yeh I should have clarified; this isn't his fighting stance, just him standing around. There's a platform element so he'll alternate between this and another stance depending on enemies in the vicinity. I agree with your point tho.