AuthorTopic: Sky Utopia II  (Read 8651 times)

Offline Drazelic

• View Profile

Sky Utopia II

on: April 21, 2013, 05:10:15 pm

So, before I go any further with this piece, I'm going to see if anyone has anything to point out.

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Re: Sky Utopia II

Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 06:27:45 pm
Less visual priority on the cyan-colored bottom of our utopia, perhaps?

I would hate to see a good piece overlook that quirky choice for a focal point, unintended or otherwise.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 02:08:43 am
Will this have a logo or other element(s) overlaid on it somewhere, like a title screen does? If not, then why not crop out the bottom third - it doesn't seem important.
If anything, give the top of the scene more breathing room. The structure seems mushed up against the top of the canvas compared to the bottom, which has so much seemingly unnecessary "extra" space.

Offline Drazelic

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 03:45:07 am
Hm. What if I work with the inadvertent higher focus on the bottom by putting one or several jet-fighter-shaped ships on the bottom, curving in towards the city at a trajectory?

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 08:43:25 am
Sounds like a fair idea. But remember the phrase - "Kill your darlings." An ideology I enthusiastically advocate. Nothing is sacred - not a single pixel of anyone's work isn't subject to improvement, so why undermine your own work by not implementing new/better ideas when they reveal themselves, even if it means re-doing all or a large portion of something.

Is this a title screen?

What is the massive column of blue below the city?

If this floating city is above the clouds, why are there clouds massed above and around it?

Here's some nifty environment concept inspiration - http://www.fzdschool.com/gallery_digital_painting_05.html

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 12:32:51 am
I really like how this looks. Sort of reminds me of Skyward Sword, but with 100% more sci-fi.

It bothers me a little bit how solid the clouds feel though? Like maybe the bottom glowing pillar should be able to be seen through clouds slightly. You could compensate for that by adding more clouds to the bottom? It's just a thought, I don't know how it'd work out.

I think it might also be worth adding more color to the top section. Maybe a bit of blue past the clouds to signify the sky? If this is the title screen for a game maybe that wouldn't jive with the story.

It also feels weird how bright and illuminated the piece is when the whole thing is encased in clouds. Part of why I feel like adding some sky would help, maybe. Or you could give the whole piece a darker, moodier feel. I suppose it isn't that important, though. Like I said it looks great so far.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 12:35:39 am by CrazyMLC »

Offline Drazelic

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 08:27:13 pm

Cutting off the bottom was a pretty good idea. I'm not sure I like how near-square the canvas is now though, so I might put some of it back later.

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 06:40:10 am

I thought, since the clouds and everything is quite dramatic, that you want to get the same effect in your choice of colours.

I personally liked when you could see some of it through the clouds and this is a piece that would greatly appreciate a second lightsource!

Keep going!

/coffee

Offline Drazelic

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 07:32:09 pm
Eh... The recolor doesn't feel so much /dramatic/ to me as /lighthearted/, like a Final Fantasy game with the bloom turned on too high. Too bright and pastel- it doesn't quite evoke the same kind of semi-cyberpunk I was going for with my palette. The extra lighting around the bottom of the pic was a great help, though.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 08:54:59 pm
I would give it more space at the top and perhaps add a few mode thin higher towers. But I would make it a portrait format for sure and show the whole sun. Very nice so far though.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.