AuthorTopic: [WIP][NUDITY] Hot Mess Game  (Read 7831 times)

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Re: [WIP][NUDITY] Hot Mess Game

Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 12:33:33 pm
The odd colorscheme also makes one think that the pink is blood. The people laying down on top of the irregular areas of pink make it look like they have been killed and makes the game a lot more gory and disturbing to me. D: Another reason to tone down the pink, I'd say.
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 07:38:25 pm
I must say, I really hate the glowing pink walls. Such an unnecessary usage of NPA for an otherwise obviously PA game.

NPA? PA? :o

*(Non-) Pixel Art IIRC - Facet
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 09:28:34 pm by Facet »

Offline ArtGuyStanley

• View Profile
    • My Art Stuff

Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 08:17:45 pm
Awesome. Thanks again for the feedback. Sorry for the late response, but I've been scrambling around the past few days but I'm back to Hot Mess (HM) again. So I have a few questions and/or concerns. I think to get my point across, I'll have to show you guys how the game is actually playing. You can check that out here -->https://vine.co/v/bPmbiO906I7. Hopefully this can help wrap your brain around the game as a whole.

As you can see, you are in perpetual motion. First off, I feel that the color changes that Sekiseki made helped a lot with preception of items in the game. I also like the idea of hallway rugs the visually lead the player. I do, however, feel like the subtle details in some elements in your mock-up, Seiseki, would be lost completely since you can't stop to appreciate them. Also, I feel like the level of detail and realism of the characters and perspective of the big robot go against the contrasting, wacky, simplistic pallets of the style that I am currently going for. Unfortunately, getting diagonal shadows like that to work would be more than a technical chore for us. I also feel like the shadows insist on this ever present perspective that strays away a bit too much from the abstractness that I'd like.

Thinking ahead, the art, as of now, is very blocky and a bit stylized so I feel like the animations will need to be a bit exaggerated and in minimal frames, especially for the robots, to keep with the current tone. Imagine like the Donkey Kong 2 frame anims for stomping and such. I feel that treatments such as these will make for a cohesive experience.

I've been playing with color schemes and toning down the tiles like you all had suggested and this is what I have so far in Tiled. Keep in mind that some of the art is just filler for now to show some variety. The less developed pieces are rather noticeable.

Keep the critique coming guys and I'll keep taking it! Thanks!

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 09:04:35 pm
I do, however, feel like the subtle details in some elements in your mock-up, Seiseki, would be lost completely since you can't stop to appreciate them. Also, I feel like the level of detail and realism of the characters and perspective of the big robot go against the contrasting, wacky, simplistic pallets of the style that I am currently going for. Unfortunately, getting diagonal shadows like that to work would be more than a technical chore for us. I also feel like the shadows insist on this ever present perspective that strays away a bit too much from the abstractness that I'd like.

Yeah I agree, it doesn't follow the sorta flat high contrast shading you're after.

As for the shadows though. It shouldn't be hard to make the tiles required and put them on a layer on top.

The latest image you posted doesn't seem to have a 1:1 pixel ratio, it looks stretched/blurred.

Offline ArtGuyStanley

• View Profile
    • My Art Stuff

Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 09:18:55 pm
The latest image you posted doesn't seem to have a 1:1 pixel ratio, it looks stretched/blurred.

Yeah, sorry about that. Was in a rush and just got a screen grab. The main thing about the shadows is the opacity that will be drawn every tile. That's a PNG24 drawn for every case on iOS, which I'm 99% sure will make it chug pretty bad. On top of that, we will need to remove those tiles if walls are destroyed and change other tiles to draw diagonals appropriately. I'm still workin' on it tho. Thanks!