AuthorTopic: Fighting/Puzzle Game Sprites  (Read 3384 times)

Offline StevenM

• View Profile

Fighting/Puzzle Game Sprites

on: April 18, 2013, 07:07:44 pm
I started developing a videogame that's similar in concept to Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo, where two players manipulate grids of gems to deplete health from their opponent. My concept is a fair amount different from the inspiration, but that's not the focus of the thread. I started creating avatars for the players to choose from, and the artstyle for the game has been fluctuating between games like Pocket Fighter (the pseudo-successor to SPF2T) with its super-deformed proportions and minimal shading, and games like King of Fighters XIII with their relatively realistic proportions and lighting. Well, the anatomy of that game never really entered into play on this project but the lighting did.

Above are my attempts at character designs (those marked with a square are even more WIP than the others), and although they mostly subscribe to super-deformed proportions you can tell where some sprites keep most of their outlines and where some sprites have different lighting cues. I'm beginning to think I'm going off-track with the advancing artstyle and the clash between shading and proportions may be to the detriment of the designs overall. Some advice and criticism would be appreciated in this factor, because I want a solid grasp on where the art direction for these sprites is going before I get to grips with the animation.

EDIT: Gem replacement

« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 09:52:57 pm by StevenM »

Offline kriss

• View Profile

Re: Fighting/Puzzle Game Sprites

Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 06:53:54 am
I can't really help you to improve but i need to tell you i'm a big fan of yours characters ;D, specially the half dead looks like  :D (or maybe he's sleeping ^^ )
in the same 2e line of characters, i'm thinking you put too many light on the boobs (4th characters), because it's not plastic  (same for the 5th with the white point)

Ether i don't really like the 1st  :( : too much "square" effect: if you want to make a robot style, you should maybe add rivet or other (or make the head like a doll)
The character with wooden katana has his left eye very bright, is it normal ?

Offline StevenM

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 01:29:06 pm
in the same 2e line of characters, i'm thinking you put too many light on the boobs (4th characters), because it's not plastic  (same for the 5th with the white point)

I see what you're saying, it gives the wrong impression of the texture.

Ether i don't really like the 1st  :( : too much "square" effect: if you want to make a robot style, you should maybe add rivet or other (or make the head like a doll)

I'm not sure what you're referring to here, sorry. "Square" effect?

The character with wooden katana has his left eye very bright, is it normal ?

I tried to draw him so he was blind in on eye. If it's coming off as poorly-conveyed or drawn, I'd like to know a better way to get it across (short of using an eyepatch).

Offline The 7th Sin

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 01:55:16 pm
Hey, I just wanted to make a suggestion about portraying your character's blind eye.
You might try making his right eye blind, instead of his left.
I think it would be more readable while using the same symbol to communicate his blindness.
Good luck man, this is an interesting project.