AuthorTopic: german soldier  (Read 11811 times)

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

german soldier

on: July 02, 2006, 12:26:55 pm
Hi,

I'm making a game which will have german soldiers as enemies. I want them kinda like metal slug, but more
realistic. Here's something I've done as practice. Any advice on palletes etc. would be appreciated. I'd
like to fix up the problems before I get too much done to change it.

current stuff:

« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 09:44:26 am by sharprm »
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline David

• View Profile
    • I Am Not Original

Re: german soldier

Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 01:00:45 pm
The highlights on his clothes (the knee especially) make them seem almost glossy. I'd tone them down or spread them out more, otherwise it's nice.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 03:22:38 pm

I changed the pants. Not as happy with the officer as the soldiers. Do the teeth on the officer look ok?
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism

Offline The Cold Mage

• Allez Cuisine Bitch!
    • View Profile
    • Ice Temple

Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 07:07:30 pm
looks good, but i think the colors on the normal soldier should be different. i think green was the color of the allied soldiers uniforms. the germans depending on what part of the military had bluish gray, or even tan brown. not intirely sure.. but i'm almost certain it wasn't green.

the officer is pretty spot on though. gooten j0rben =P

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 07:39:03 pm
I believe it was greyish for infantry, yeah. Also, you may have omitted this consciously (for understandable reasons), but I assume thes are meant to be ww2 era german soldiers? If so, no arm bands? I get that you may not want a direct link to nazism in your sprites, but err...it is rather blatantly implied anyway, isn't it?

Anyway, the sprites themselves look pretty great. The teeth on the officer are fine, imo. Animation would be stellar.

Offline DrDerekDoctors

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 08:19:32 pm
I agree that the clothes look a little waxen on the flamer, but I really quite like how the lighting has been applied. I also really like the colour progression on the back end of the flame as it changes to smoke. Very nice, although doesn't seem in keeping with the rest of the higher saturation colour scheme.
--

DrDerekDoctors

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 02:48:35 am

I added an SS officer. They definately had swasticas, but the normal soldiers didn't in real life I'm
pretty sure (bad camoflauge?). The game isn't that serious, so I don't have to be 100% historically
accurate. It set in a mayan temple, kinda a indiana jones type plot. The SS officer has a radioactive
super-soaker.

In the game the flamer will be done by tons of tiny objects, so I won't try fixing it up. By saturation,
you mean the colors were too brown right?

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 02:59:14 am
Saturation refers to how vivid or vibrant a colour is.  I think.  Nort os good at defining things.
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 03:42:07 am
Also, I don't think all German soldiers were Nazis.

I like these a lot.  The officer's (not SS) arms bug me, though.  His right seems connected to his torso weirdly, like it's tacked on, and his left upper arm seems flat, I'd add a highlight there.

Offline DrDerekDoctors

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 03, 2006, 11:13:21 am
I like the browniness of the flames, it's just that they're quite dull colours compared to the vibrant tones in the rest of the piece. Pity it's being done with particles in the game, though. I like a good flame animation, I do. :)
--

DrDerekDoctors