AuthorTopic: Tile Critique  (Read 2662 times)

Offline Aaron P

• View Profile

Tile Critique

on: April 17, 2013, 08:10:58 pm

What's your opinion on this attempt at grass? I wasnt going for the "marsh" look, but I do like it for a jungle scene of some sort.

As a side note, how can I make my grass not look like swamp? Every attempt at grass has come out this way for me...

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Re: Tile Critique

Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 08:58:11 pm
I assume you want the grass to be in the background, and for that it's way too saturated and high contrast. The swampy look comes from overdefined blades of grass, making them look like they are poking out from mud rather than actually having shadowed other plants below.

In short: Lower contrast, brightness and saturation, less isolated grass and less flat dark areas.
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Re: Tile Critique

Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 09:30:54 pm
why do you think it's good to start out with a single tile? Make at least 1 tree and a char that xyou can feel th whole scenery. It's senseless to talk about texture without context.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter