AuthorTopic: Game DUMP (C&C)  (Read 3943 times)

Offline Blaze Enigma

• View Profile

Game DUMP (C&C)

on: April 14, 2013, 08:19:23 pm
Hai there! Recently had enough time to start working slightly harder on a project of mine, this would just be a general area to dump said artwork, I hope I can get some opinions on the work overall, thanks in advance ^_^. Uh sure if I am meant to show in-game screenshots, or mention anything about the game, since this is a pixel art forum lol

This screen shot is simply a representative of a few turfs, it does not depict any form of the final product : http://oi50.tinypic.com/5kk6y8.jpg

Punching:

Frame by frame sequence:

Not a fan of punching, I generally make odd animations.

I would primarily prefer your opinions on the punch, but in case anyone is curious, here is the walk cycle.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 11:04:38 pm by Blaze Enigma »

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Re: Game DUMP (C&C)

Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 04:46:58 am
Huh, for some reason your down-facing punch does give your character a bit of anticipation. Like an actual punch, a person would move their arm back then throw their punch. That is missing on the other directions most noticably with the one facing up. The side-facing punch sort of has it there but it could be more clear.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 05:57:20 am
shoulders rotate when punching, and so should the torso and ribcage. Not much, but keeping it "straight forward" makes it feel a bit odd.

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 07:10:14 am
The punching animations feel very stiff. The entire body is involved in the act of throwing a punch, not just the arms.

Another problem, the animation starts and ends too quickly. It's assumed the punch lands, but the animation ends right there. You need a couple more frames afterwards to make the animation feel more natural. If you wanted to go all out you could even have separate animations for a miss, or a hit (more of a thwack! at the end). This is called follow through.
There's also a lack of anticipation in the animations generally, as Pix3M noted.

Basically, you're going to need more frames before and after the punch to make it look better.

I searched around a bit and found a video of a guy using a punching bag in slow motion. (Here's one that's regular speed, but no bad music!) Maybe those'll be a useful reference?

Notice how a lot of the power from the punch comes from the twisting of the torso and legs. His torso twists and sort of drags his arms along for the ride on some punches. And, generally, he stands on his toes as he punches, allowing him to twist his legs easier.

Basically, when punching, you twist the shoulder of the arm that's punching forward, adding more power to your strike. Adding this and some other nuances into your animation will make it look much more natural.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 07:43:44 am by CrazyMLC »