AuthorTopic: Clyde - WIP, Newbie, C+C appreciated  (Read 5467 times)

Offline bigluc

• View Profile

Clyde - WIP, Newbie, C+C appreciated

on: April 11, 2013, 05:22:34 pm
Hello again, I posted a scene earlier and am working on that alongside a sprite for the main character of a game. The game is a noir-style, dark. Clyde here is supposed to be the good guy, but I still want him to be dark and mysterious. He is wearing a trench coat and somewhat of a fedora. Also if anyone could advise me on how to shade his trenchcoat, because right now it feels too shiny to me.

Edit: larger link
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 06:05:25 pm by bigluc »

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Re: Clyde - WIP, Newbie, C+C appreciated

Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 07:09:19 pm
Since you already have a post going I suggest you stick to it and finish that before you start anything new, that thriced since you are developing a game and doing it alone. I have seen game productions being stopped and dropped because they have been juggeling too much at the same time. It is a common misstake when you just get into it and a habbit best to get rid off as early as possible.

It is also best concerning the forum, people want to see it through and completed when they help.

//coffee

Offline bigluc

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 07:31:07 pm
I'm actually working with another person, and they needed a sprite and background to get the engine started. But I will stick to one now, and then finish the other.

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 08:11:27 pm

Click the image as these forums have a nifty feature that images are zoomed in when clicked.

I made a quick but totally workable example of what I think might be more convincing for what I think you need. I went with a cel-shading sort of shading, and a cool-colored light source from above. I also avoided the use of highlights as it's not something you really see in rougher textures like that of a trenchcoat.

I don't think I am a shading expert but as far as I've understood shading, it has more to do with how shading works than how a particular object is shaded. I find that to really understand shading, you gotta see how it works in real life - how light sources cast shadows and how it can change colors of an object, bunch of other details as well.

You could also just look at a picture of a tenchcoat (with great lighting) and see how it's shaded to help make sure your shading is solid. Be mindful of lightsources though.

Also, never save as a JPG.... or did the image host turn your image into a jpg? ??? Saving pixel art in that file format is like stuffing the essay you did for homework into your pants pocket.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 08:13:15 pm by Pix3M »

Offline bigluc

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 08:56:58 pm
Wow, yes, that is totally the look I'm going for. I also noticed you used fewer colors than I, which is something I could aim for. Thanks for you help, I'll work on this and post results after I finish my other thread.

And yea imgur changed it to jpg for some reason.

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 09:46:03 pm
Your choice of proportions is quite entertaining.

And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline bigluc

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 04:34:11 am
Ah yes, I do suppose his face may be a bit large. I wanted a slightly larger head for a bit of detail, but I think I may have went a bit to big.  :P

Offline bigluc

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 05:44:00 am
With Pix3M's permission, I have used his sprite as a base, and have built an animation form it. It's ok to me, but his upper body feels rigid to me, how should I go about fixing that? Also how does the sprite look in general?

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 04:27:01 pm
I'd go for the stylish square guy. Maybe even without a nose, and even flatter rendering than I did here:

Offline bigluc

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 05:42:57 am
Hm. I like the bulky-er build. I'll try experimenting with that a bit.