AuthorTopic: Chinese Girl Portrait  (Read 2982 times)

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Chinese Girl Portrait

on: May 04, 2013, 08:40:30 pm
(I'm taking a little break from my Gorillaz drawing)  :)

Here's the picture:

http://img10.picoodle.com/i554/freemind/2v01_725_u5vq6.png

And here's my second attempt (won't show the first one  :D:

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Re: Chinese Girl Portrait

Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 09:32:56 pm
It's not a great ref. to start with; diffuse lighting, weird angle; that stuff's important, but my advice (on the evidence of some other work of yours too) is: put down the 1px brush! try working big and broad to establish shapes and masses, get your value relationships down first and refine smaller, saving details 'til last. It should be less work in the beginning stages too; you only have to grind pixel-level stuff when you're already pleased with the image.

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 10:32:45 pm
you should focus on the structure of the face, rather than just the features.  Heres a rough edit.  It still has likeness issues cause I didnt really measure it.

try tracing over your reference just to get an understanding of the structure; where the face is broken into different planes.  Thats what you should focus on.  I mean like this

(notice I did it kind of bad on purpose, cant do all the work for you, you know).

I also have to second facets advice about putting down the 1px brush.  Focus on shapes.

EDIT:  what exactly is your process in drawing this?  Do you start with the outlines?  You seem to be committing your self to outlines too early.  Even if you do sketch out some outlines, you dont need to commit yourself to pixel level perfection at this stage.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 10:46:42 pm by r1k »

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 11:34:20 am
put down the 1px brush! try working big and broad to establish shapes and masses, get your value relationships down first and refine smaller, saving details 'til last.

Hey I'm all for learning, you won't have to tell me twice, thanks.  :y:

what exactly is your process in drawing this?  Do you start with the outlines?  You seem to be committing your self to outlines too early.  Even if you do sketch out some outlines, you dont need to commit yourself to pixel level perfection at this stage.

I look at my reference and I draw the outlines in white and black. Then I color and that's pretty much it. So yeah, once I finish the outlines they're usually final. I do modify them if necessary but I rarely do.