AuthorTopic: Vacation game assets [Need help with character sprite!]  (Read 10865 times)

Offline imnumberfour

• View Profile

Re: Vacation game assets [Need help with character sprite!]

Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 08:49:55 am
Ok guys and gals: if I was doing that form of perspective would each "section" be comprised out of tiles apart from the background? Or would I draw out each scene?

Offline Allegro

• Jobs are for suckas
    • View Profile
    • Sprixelsoft

Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 04:11:44 pm
I really like how backgrounds were handled in Metal Slug, in that there was a character standing infront of the bg..

In that game it looked like lots of stuff was drawn out, but they were also really really good at element re-use. So there would be a lot of tileable textures, but they weren't nearly as obvious as say in Megaman or Super Mario Bros.

http://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/Neo-Geo/MetalSlug3-Mission4.png for example

Offline imnumberfour

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 05:01:59 pm
So not exact 16x16 tiles, but rather elements that can tile together and be re-used?

Offline Allegro

• Jobs are for suckas
    • View Profile
    • Sprixelsoft

Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 05:36:02 pm
Yeah, the neo geo at least was capable of breaking the square tile standard of the time... and if the neo geo could do it, I'm sure you can too :)

it depends on the game engine

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 06:36:18 pm
So not exact 16x16 tiles, but rather elements that can tile together and be re-used?

Don't think of your tiles as tiles. If possible, try to draw them as a scene over a grid. This way, I find that I am more conscious of how my tiles look in practice, and I find that it helps avoid making tiles that don't tile well, and in general make stuff that kinda reveals a tile grid. You could probably draw a 128x64 section of wall over a 16x16 grid if you want, if you're up to working that large.

Offline imnumberfour

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: April 12, 2013, 06:55:36 pm
quick sketch jsut to see if I understand the whole perspecitve thing:

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #16 on: April 12, 2013, 07:52:42 pm
de-saturation and fade-to-blue as you go to further planes is the key to good readability.

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #17 on: April 12, 2013, 07:55:24 pm

I tried to draw different kinds of perspectives. I think the choice comes from what kind of a game you are thinking of. :o!

1. is traditional perspectiveless-blocks - background objects are separated by them being lighter than the foreground and maybe having lighter outlines? Mario is an example, of course.
2. Point and click, of course you have to make different character sizes. Not really relevant, for some reason I included that.
3. Beat-em-up, characters can move up and down slightly. Background objects should still stay off the walk-plane, and the walkable area should be clearly different (a road, a fence, something like that)
4. Kinda what the others are suggesting, I saw jazz 2 do this. Basically the character walks right in the middle of the ground, with the groundplane extending slightly above and below the walkable area. Jazz 2 had pretty lenient jumps, so it wasn't an issue. Notice that the walkable area again should be kinda separated from the background visually so the player doesn't get confused about where they are able to land.
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com

Offline r4c7

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: April 13, 2013, 03:32:36 am
Kind of a different topic, but I think you could add more to the character without more colors. Here, I tried to do that, in a sloppy, exaggerated way.

Things I did: 1st, I used the dark hair color as a third shade for for the pants. 2nd, I changed the color of the flowers to a more neutral blending color.  I used this in the hair for anti alias and for more detail with the pants and arms. I also did some other small ideas and color adjustments. The technique is sloppy, but maybe keep in mind some of the ideas. (I also really messed up the shirt)