AuthorTopic: Just starting out on my first game!  (Read 13612 times)

Offline Jigsaw

• お前はもう死んでいる。
    • View Profile
    • Josef Axner: Digital Art Portfolio

Re: Just starting out on my first game!

Reply #20 on: April 29, 2013, 11:59:32 am
The middle one is easily the worst in my opinion. All black outlines or coloured outlines is consistent, mixing the two just feels a bit confusing.

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #21 on: April 29, 2013, 12:58:42 pm
Personally I think you could also try making the outlines lighter towards the light. I don't agree with Jigsaw, in the sense that I think making the outlines inside color areas (shirt, fist, face...) colored would help avoid choking the sprite.
The red area requires more contrast to make this work better. You could use the outline-color for the shadows and make a darker color for the outlines. :U

I'd also like to note that the character has practically no neck, and this necklessness makes him a bit... Goblin-like. Raising the head or even just drawing a line to show where the neck is would help connect the head better to the body.

Lastly, I think the colors you used here are a bit... Generic. They don't have an unified color sense to them, feeling more like you just grabbed colors from Paint's palette and adjusted their brightness a bit. Not sure what I'd tell you to do regarding that, maybe push them all toward a common color for unity?
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com

Offline Allegro

• Jobs are for suckas
    • View Profile
    • Sprixelsoft

Reply #22 on: April 29, 2013, 06:42:27 pm
Well I think that honestly I'd be happy with the fourth option in this image:

1. All lines = black
2. Most lines = dark, but facial features = different
3. Just the red shirt is different (what we've been doing till now)
4. Just the -outline- is pure black, all other lines inside the body are colored
5. All lines coloured

I did the 1st one just to see, and absolutely don't like it. The again, I just don't like the weight it has. The dark colours in the interior feel too heavy and I just don't think I want it like that. I feel like 5 could work... but it's my partner's least favourite direction... so... it leaves me inclined to continue with the middle option.

I do however like version 4 there, which has a pure black outline which should proved a little contrast in all environments since I don't intend on having pure black in any of the bgs, and now the hands and such have coloured lines, like the shirt, so that it's a little more unified. Very similar to the original, but overall a little more consistent...

As for the color choice, the idea for our game is that people will be able to swap hair and eye pieces for different ones to allow for different looking characters. They will also be able to palette swap the hair colors, and skin colors to further customize their characters. This means there are going to be a variety of colors being used on screen at once to help make the characters look different. We haven't entirely decided yet if we're going to have the shirts themselves custom swappable or if we're going to control shirt colors to distinguish teams. If we don't use shirts to designate teams, we'll have to do something else, like adding a glow around the characters. I'm leaning toward the clothing color determining the team.

Either way, I'll probably be a little more concerned with refining those colors a little later

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: April 29, 2013, 08:57:18 pm
Try to keep your outlining more consistent. On the lower side of the extended arm there are stray pixels in the outline and it has been bugging me to no end. Some areas are single pixel outlines, others are connected lines like on his shoulder. Personally I think the colored outline is the best (number 5).