AuthorTopic: [WIP] Please help me improve my modular knights  (Read 2649 times)

Offline phi6

• View Profile

[WIP] Please help me improve my modular knights

on: April 11, 2013, 03:15:33 pm
Hi guys,

This is my second attempt at pixelling graphics for a game idea, so I'm looking for all feedback I can get. What I have here are a series of low-res modular sprites which I can layer in my game to build up a variety of Knights and (in the future) other characters.

I've gone for low-res 3x3 pixels and 20 colors. I figured that this style will be easier for me to begin with as I don't have to worry too much about 3d shading, and that there's less pixels on screen. The palette was shamefully stolen from a3um over at PixelJoint:

I think my choices may have backfired on me as I'm finding it a little tricky to depict the character properly, and with such a low resolution diagonals are difficult. We shall see how it goes!

The following is not zoomed in, the low resolution is intended for the game.

Building up the sprite in layers:

A few variations as chosen semi-randomly by my game engine:

First attempt at front walk animation.
Do these walk cycles look right to you? I'm not 100% sure, especially the second one - shield and standard moving in the right direction?

Anyway, would greatly appreciate any feedback, and please edit as you want! I'm open minded as to how I take this further.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 03:18:16 pm by phi6 »

Offline bigluc

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Please help me improve my modular knights

Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 05:28:27 pm
I'm new here, but I can give advice on what I see. As for the sprites standing still they look good, but in animation it kind of looks like the guy's let is retracting into his body. Try shading the leg going behind him a bit to give it depth. Also as far as the shield, you could make it a 5 frame animation and have it bob 2 pixels, but it looks ok right now