AuthorTopic: [WIP] Maze Game Tileset  (Read 4805 times)

Offline dreamisle

• Software Engineer/Puzzle Author
    • View Profile
    • Dave Goes the Distance

[WIP] Maze Game Tileset

on: April 01, 2013, 03:19:24 pm
Hello. It's been quite a while since I've posted here, and probably just as long since I've last done any pixel art.

For a work project, I'm putting together a simple maze game featuring our company mascot. I currently have three level themes with tiles. I'm OK with them so far, but I know they need some improvement - I'm just not sure what exactly.

Sprite/Tile Sheet

Shipping Level

Snowy Level

Sunny Level

Possibly relevant details:
  • I've tried to keep it to as few colors as possible, but in a few cases I used my pencil tool at half opacity. :(
  • The coins and character are currently scaled down from vector, but I'll be redoing them as pixel art later.
  • The game generates maze levels randomly, and the two full-square tiles are randomly placed.
  • I'm open to adding additional tiles to each of the sets for a better end result.

Any feedback would be appreciated a ton!

Edit with way updated copies:

• No more lame tool-assisted brushing.
  • Character redrawn as sprite.
  • Vastly redone grass/hedge tiles after re-reading this article series.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 08:00:18 pm by dreamisle »

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Theodore Customs

Re: [WIP] Maze Game Tileset

Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 05:12:04 am
Shipping Level: I see you fixed the perspective, these look cool now. BUT! you may think about adding a little more vibrancy to the crates. They look as if just brighter/darker hues of the same color were used. The shadowy part could have a tint of blue and the lit part--yellow/orange. Just a suggestion.
Snowy Level: These tiles doesn't really blend well vertically.
Sunny Level: I think I liked the previous version better, it was simpler and less eye-tiring. The lower part of the tile, however, could be darker (maybe even more than in the second variant) to make illusion of a 3D shape, i.e. long blades of grass.

This is gonna be a nice-looking game, no doubt :)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 05:13:50 am by skw »
Even a common man by obtaining knowledge becomes a Buddha.
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy

Offline dreamisle

• Software Engineer/Puzzle Author
    • View Profile
    • Dave Goes the Distance

Re: [WIP] Maze Game Tileset

Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 03:39:29 pm
Thanks for the comments skw. I've tinkered more with the vertical tiling of the snow level, but I'm still unhappy with it. FWIW, my coworkers seem to like the new grass texture much better, but maybe I can scale back a bit.

Since my last edit, I've added more tile variants, top-edge tiles that have a bit of transparency to remove blockiness, a new coin image, and I have a link to the current beta version of the game as well:

http://www.smartlivingnetwork.com/smarty-sprint