AuthorTopic: [WIP] Mystery/Adventure Game Art  (Read 8653 times)

Offline Peltast

• @PeltastDesign
    • View Profile

Re: Mystery/Adventure Game Art

Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 01:22:17 am
Hey guys, I've been silently plugging away and I've got new stuff.  As always, any and all critique is much appreciated!

First up, here's the mugshots of all the characters, keeping in mind they'll be viewed at 2x magnification:

They're all animated, but I'm taking a break from animating for the moment, so I feel it'd be disingenuous to put those up right now.

Mainly I've been working on the actual game environments, meaning tilesets and scenery.  To be honest, I think I'm doing a pretty bad job at it though!

Here are some mockups with varying floor tiles.  I'm pretty sure I know which one is the best, but I'll post them all for the heck of it.

And a mockup of a separate room in the lattermost floor tile:

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Re: [WIP] Mystery/Adventure Game Art

Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 11:55:23 am
Isn't a "mugshot" a picture showing exclusively the face? That would be the "mug" part, right?  :crazy:

The jump in resolutions may be a conscious decision, but to me it looks jarring as well (as Facet argued)
I'd rather solve the problem some other way... use more colors, bring the room to the characters' resolution, or even bring the characters to the room's resolution.

Personally, I'd just lower the environment's resolution, and if readability issues arise, change the environment to fit to its new res :)

Offline Peltast

• @PeltastDesign
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Mystery/Adventure Game Art

Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 12:13:45 am
Thanks for the feedback!   ;D

Isn't a "mugshot" a picture showing exclusively the face? That would be the "mug" part, right?  :crazy:
Er, oops, I guess I was thinking of a police line-up.  Or something.  Close enough!   :D

The jump in resolutions may be a conscious decision, but to me it looks jarring as well (as Facet argued)
I'd rather solve the problem some other way... use more colors, bring the room to the characters' resolution, or even bring the characters to the room's resolution.

Personally, I'd just lower the environment's resolution, and if readability issues arise, change the environment to fit to its new res :)
Yeah you're right, I need to stop cheating like that.  It's tempting for me to break resolution for more detail/smoothness, but it's not worth the inconsistent look.  I could up the resolution of the characters, but that'd be straying too much from the style that I was going for in the first place!

I've lowered the background's resolution, and fiddled with the colors to make it less bland.