AuthorTopic: Gorillaz  (Read 9409 times)

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Gorillaz

on: March 27, 2013, 06:24:16 pm
Hi again guys!

So I'm trying to copy one of Jamie Hewlett's drawing:

But I don't like what I'm getting so far. If you would be so kind as to rip it apart, I would really appreciate it. As you know, I always persevere a great deal with whatever I do (which is why I rarely present stuff! :yell:)

The objective is to first redraw the original in pixel and then to animate it.

Thank you for reading  :)!

Zizka

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Re: Gorillaz

Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 01:38:03 am
My, my, are you guys ever quiet.  :D

Worked a bit more on this. Tweaked and fixed quite a few things.

V.1: V. 2:

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 08:02:44 am
What I consider rather important about the character in the original drawing is the thick neck and the wide shoulders. You should draw those as well, I believe they'd add quite something to the piece.
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 08:59:53 am
Also, keep in mind the thicker outlines.

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 01:24:07 pm
Thanks for the feedback:

What I consider rather important about the character in the original drawing is the thick neck and the wide shoulders. You should draw those as well, I believe they'd add quite something to the piece.

Agreed, I've added those. I'm having trouble shading the throat however.

Also, keep in mind the thicker outlines.

Not sure I would go about that however, wouldn't involve banding?

Do you guys have any criticism about the face for instance? Feel free to nitpick every single detail, I really want to improve.

V. 1 V. 2 V. 3 V.4 V.5
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 04:35:09 pm by Zizka »

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 04:55:56 am
I had a go at an edit. Mostly played around with line weight, not entirely sure how it turned out.
I added some dithering to make it look less plain and a bit more old school, and also a bunch of AA to smoothen things out and make it look softer.

Also, you should look at a higher res version of the original art.

edit: After looking at that highres reference I came up with this. It seems your forehead was a bit short, and the thin edge of the cap wasn't there from the original, as well as the thick shadow between the cap and the forehead.
 I also attempted to add more details from the original and change the colors to better match it.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 06:10:00 am by Seiseki »

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 07:23:33 am
Anyone notice the slight tilt to the head? I feel that is a very subtle detail that is a major difference from.something a bit dynamic and something a bit too symmetrical to be interesting.

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 12:17:51 pm
@Seiseki: Man, I wish I had seen your edit before animating everything  :'(. Now I kinda have the feeling I'd better start from scratch.  :blind: Oh well, I'll try to find a way. Thanks for the edit however. I just need to integrate some of your ideas without ending up copying them.

@pix3m:
Actually, I noticed the tilt from the get go. I decided to the thing as symmetrical since I'm pretty much a beginner at this. Considering how heavy the edit is, I think I might start over from scratch with the tilt this time around.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 02:02:38 pm
Anyone notice the slight tilt to the head? I feel that is a very subtle detail that is a major difference from.something a bit dynamic and something a bit too symmetrical to be interesting.

Yeah, I thought about that too, but considering the medium I think it's fair to skip that.

Offline Jigsaw

• お前はもう死んでいる。
    • View Profile
    • Josef Axner: Digital Art Portfolio

Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 03:27:08 pm
One thing that stands out to me is the way you shaded his eyes. Maybe it was intended as some form of anti-aliasing, but it reads as shading, anyway.

Putting the shadow on the bottom of the eyes - assuming light from above - implies that the eyeballs are bulging out of their sockets. It would make more sense to put the shade along the upper edge of the eye, to imply a shadow being cast by the eyelid onto the eye. It's much less noticeable in Seiseki's edit where there is much heavier AA all over, but in your original pic it does look a bit weird to me.