AuthorTopic: My Newest Piece & Some Unfinished Artworks (3)  (Read 5909 times)

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Theodore Customs

My Newest Piece & Some Unfinished Artworks (3)

on: March 26, 2013, 02:54:42 pm
Welcome back! Here's my newest piece and some old artworks I found rotting on my HDD...still waiting for final touches (euphemistically speaking). May you have any comments, please share your thoughts! :)

Cross Triangle Cross: http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/76933.htm.

Unfinished X. Trying Something New II.

Big Iron (Unfinished),

Miss Endorphin (Unfinished).
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 03:05:04 pm by skw »
Even a common man by obtaining knowledge becomes a Buddha.
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile

Re: My Newest Piece & Some Unfinished Artworks (3)

Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 04:29:05 am
I'm bumping the thread. Come on guys, no reply at all? Are these worth completing? Or should I leave them as they are and proceed to something else? Give me some motivation! :d

What on to the Witch House piece, I heard an opinion that made me thinking. I heard that it's "kinda repulsive;" is it? I kind of wanted it to be like that but I wonder whether this feeling you may have while looking at it makes it a poor pixel art?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 04:32:54 am by skw »
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy

Offline Nmb910

• Game Developer
    • View Profile
    • Enemby

Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 05:46:06 am
It's probably because these are awesome. I personally have no critique to add, besides lots of variance in detail, they're insanely cool.

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 05:54:59 am
Yeah, I have to concur. The second one is the only piece that sticks out as "unfinished." The last in particular just looks stylized and neat to me.

A bit of polish probly wouldn't hurt on #3, but it depends on what you're going for. Right now it seems sort of impressionistic; actually, the detail in the mustache etc is almost detracting from it where I stand. You could easily take it either way though.
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 06:10:45 am
Really diggin the cowboy. The first two suffer from poor construction imo, too much symbol-drawing from the ol' image-database in the brain, especially the head on the second, which reveals where anatomical knowledge is lacking. That said, I like the palette on the second image. The Afro chick s shaping up nicely and reminds me of old scene stuff. There are so e anatomical quirks though (long ears, side plane of head de-emphasized i.e. face too big)

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 07:07:58 am
personally I prefer some of the roughness in the unfinished ones.  The finished one seems too smooth to me.

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 08:06:08 am
Thank you guys !

The first two suffer from poor construction imo, too much symbol-drawing from the ol' image-database in the brain, especially the head on the second, which reveals where anatomical knowledge is lacking.
That is true. I always speak in defense of anatomical correctness but don't seem to follow the rules myself :) The second one is meant to be deformed but I guess I should make another, more realistic take on it to practice drawing anatomical features. May I ask, what is wrong with the Witch House piece? I guess the nose is somehow not on the right plane...also, there can be some problem with her left eye which I should probably move slightly to the left; am I right?

Generally, all of these are the results of mindless doodling so yeah, no firm construction nor any references were used.

personally I prefer some of the roughness in the unfinished ones.  The finished one seems too smooth to me.
This is why I always leave rough spots in many of my pieces. Plus of course there's the exhaustion factor as, having the base image established, I get bored quickly of pixel-level polishing ;)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 08:07:46 am by skw »

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 12:42:52 am
Yeah, some sweet textures and stuff. There is a lot to look at in 4 pieces of varying completion though. Fav is the last.

I'd add that in the first 'un the nose ring is forming a weird tangent with the whole outline of her left nostril, the earring also borders the cheek there too, seemingly against gravity; not a biggie but eh.

The Cowboy's cigarette terminates on the border, and the crop to the middle of his eye is strange one, I'm not sure we'd see his traps up there by his mouth unless he was seriously built, could be a bulky jacket, but what I'm saying is that you could be paying more attention to composition/framing too, looks like you might have drawn outwards from the face each time.