AuthorTopic: Scientist(C+C)  (Read 7516 times)

Offline Nmb910

• Game Developer
    • View Profile
    • Enemby

Scientist(C+C)

on: March 04, 2013, 07:33:33 pm
I made a topic for this a few hours before the scourge. This is a remake.  :'(
Tiles of the works in progress:

Actual Sprite:

and the file for GIMP:
http://www.mediafire.com/?93j0t2tcnbzmw76

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Re: Scientist(C+C)

Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 08:40:30 pm

Just a quick edit to show you don't need a thousand colours to give him shape. Sprites are just so much easier to handle with fewer colours and faster to draw.
* may contain misinformation

Offline Nmb910

• Game Developer
    • View Profile
    • Enemby

Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 11:44:46 pm

Just a quick edit to show you don't need a thousand colours to give him shape. Sprites are just so much easier to handle with fewer colours and faster to draw.
Thank you very much.   :) It's a weird thing I do. I really like your edit, serves the purpose a lot better.
EDIT:I played with Ambivorous's edit, and am now wondering why I didn't always use a palette in the first place.
New Sprite:
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 04:55:56 am by Nmb910 »

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 06:13:29 pm
I see you dithering there. If you feel the absolute necessity to dither, chances are you shouldn't. Dithering is for when you simply cannot add another colour to your palette.
Since you seem to want smoother transitions between colours, I added more colours rather than dithering.

While I was at it I changed a bunch of colours (most noticeably the skin colour) to demonstrate what changes to colour alone can generate.
Combined with the extra colours I had at my disposal I was able to make the contrast between colours less to give the image a smoother feel. Having less contrast meant I could put more dark blue on the shirt and tie to give the coat and them some depth.

I may have also changed some of the outlines (and by 'may have', I mean I did).
Around the head there is a big difference in the lines, but his shoes and hands only have minor alterations just to show that small changes in outline can make a big difference in perception.

My newer edit | Older edit

You shouldn't just take my edit and work with it though. You should try making changes to your own sprite and seeing how they affect the look of it. You can use some of the techniques/guidelines I've posted, but the best way to do any art is to try out things for yourself and develop your own style.
And also tonnes and tonnes of practice. Never underestimate the power of practice. [/cliche]
* may contain misinformation

Offline Nmb910

• Game Developer
    • View Profile
    • Enemby

Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 01:10:26 am
Took me a while to find the time, but I remade the tile almost completely, hopefully it looks better!

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 01:29:15 am
In your last edit, he doesn't look like a scientist to me. Ambivorous created very good edit of your character head, and you should learn from it, not "run away" in the opposite direction. If you want for your character sprite to appear as a scientist, you should make him more geeky and you should exaggerate his attributes, especially in small resolution sprites.

Here are some examples:

I hope that this was helpful ;D.       

Offline Nmb910

• Game Developer
    • View Profile
    • Enemby

Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 02:36:24 am
In your last edit, he doesn't look like a scientist to me. Ambivorous created very good edit of your character head, and you should learn from it, not "run away" in the opposite direction.   
There is a very good reason for that, but the shortest version is it wouldn't fit the character to look/be nerdy. :P

Offline DOT33102

• Dots are pixels , pixels are art :D voila !
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 03:59:30 pm
Heya man :D uhm heres my version of the scientist I didnt know what kind of scientist type did you want so I went with the german scientists style :P anyways I made it kind of abit realistic , you can notice two styles of shading the normal circular one and the dithering just try to focus on them and follow them I dont mind if you edit my version and use it :D your welcome :P

hope you dont mind iv added a green background so you can notice the coat shading

Offline Nmb910

• Game Developer
    • View Profile
    • Enemby

Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 04:40:54 am
I completely remade the tile(besides most of the outline, following a lot of the things I did through my iterations.

EDIT: Ignore the transparent pixels, I'll get rid of them when I load them into my game. :P
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 04:53:57 am by Nmb910 »

Offline Quady14

• With A Buzz In Our Ears, We Play Endlessly
    • @Quady14
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/106644.htm
    • quadraxis14
    • quady14
    • View Profile
    • Eldritch Artbominations

Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 04:58:01 am
SO ready for science!

This is purely opinion, but I think his beard should be more grandiose and beautiful. Just flowing down right past his tie! Oh, also, the hands look maybe a bit flat on the newest version, I actually thought they had a little more depth in the original version. Maybe experiment with shading them a little more to get that effect again? Otherwise, looks like a pretty snazzy scientist! :)
"Diabetes is a super power, right?" "Yeah."

Offline Nmb910

• Game Developer
    • View Profile
    • Enemby

Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 06:09:17 pm
SO ready for science!

This is purely opinion, but I think his beard should be more grandiose and beautiful. Just flowing down right past his tie! Oh, also, the hands look maybe a bit flat on the newest version, I actually thought they had a little more depth in the original version. Maybe experiment with shading them a little more to get that effect again? Otherwise, looks like a pretty snazzy scientist! :)
I definitely should round out his hands a bit more when I get home. I wanted them to have the basic shape of hands for carrying things later.

I have been working on his sides(platformer-type sprites) and I just can't get the perspective right...

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 09:15:28 pm
If you want to enlarge your panel of scientist and find stereotypes that have been applauded by scientists-to-be over the last decade, I suggest you have a look at "phd comics".