AuthorTopic: GR#125 - Shiny Red Creature - Sprite Process  (Read 8819 times)

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

GR#125 - Shiny Red Creature - Sprite Process

on: March 03, 2013, 07:11:16 pm
Since the evil powers of the universe conspired against us and shut us down for a while, my previous art thread on this subject got lost in the void. Well, I'm bringing it back 'cus I'm not done yet!

Recap:
Progression .gif

Here's the "final" version which I submitted for critique

Here's an awesome, fun edit by facet with some pointers on shading

Here's a photo of Shane Hamman

And finally, here's the changes that I've done since last:

Muscles need some more re-work, but overall I feel like I've started off in a good direction. Thanks for all the help so far. More updates coming soon!

update:

Final form, probably! Going to change up the shading a bit, then see if I can make it shiny.

update 6/3:

Some minor changes today. Going to have to decide the form of the head, next.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 06:08:27 pm by Charlieton »
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Re: return of shiny red creature, c+c

Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 09:34:26 pm
Quite late getting back here, sorry.

Latest is less linearly shaded, more structure in the arms :y:. That's a pretty glorious ref. though, I'd love to see you draw more on that and perhaps round out the arms with some chub instead of giving all the muscles a rounded peak. That awesome oily line on his arm has got to be worked in somehow too, realistic or no :lol:. I Actually had a go again, taking out more of the low end for a more diffuse look as the rest looked to me. I also used line weight to imply more form in a flatter shade.

That deep hollow - pec/shoulder is what really looked off first glance; the pecs don't look attached to the arm, I think you could demonstrate more bulk by it's gravitation downwards, rather than ballooning outwards.

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Re: return of shiny red creature, c+c

Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 09:59:32 pm
Here's the latest version from a few days ago:

Progress slowed down because I was at a loss of what to do next. I'm glad that you found some new points to address! Yet another rad edit!

I haven't even thought about the pecs' relation to the shoulders. I haven't been refering to the photo as I should, obviously. I'd like to try and keep having the arm muscles be defined, though. Feels like good practice for me, and I like its visual contrast to the flabby body. Regardless, I'm going to have to change the upper body some more.

Thanks!
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag