AuthorTopic: Swatchy : Palette Swapping Program  (Read 3813 times)

Offline FaeryShivers

• View Profile
    • Happy Ufo Studios

Swatchy : Palette Swapping Program

on: February 08, 2013, 06:36:28 am

I haven't posted in a long time as I've been extremely busy with projects and it's usually stuff I'm not allowed to post details of :|

Anyway, I got together with a friend of mine and helped make a program called "Swatchy" that I thought might be of interest to some of my old friends here (if anyone is still around!)

http://www.swatchy.net

It's a "pay what you want" App (2$ min) , totally worth it. He built it specifically to help with a problem I was having, but it is applicable to all sprite work obviously so I figured it would
be good for him to share/sell it :)

Also, for my old friends you can catch me on twitter now:

http://www.twitter.com/GMShivers

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Re: Swatchy : Palette Swapping Program

Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 11:10:14 am
So I'm to pay $2+ for an external program to do what?  ???
Neither you post or the linked to site mentions anything beyond "Palette Swapping" and "palette editor" which every image editor better than MSPaint can perform without the hassle of adding another program to the mix.

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 01:43:46 pm
I've got to admit it's not exactly clear what this actually does (except for swapping palettes - does it do anything else?). Also, the feature is rather light, if I may say so. IrfanView can export and import palettes just fine, so even that should suffice.
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 01:58:24 pm
I think there is a notion of side-by-side comparison of palette swaps in operation as well.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline FaeryShivers

• View Profile
    • Happy Ufo Studios

Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 07:18:48 am
It's an early version of the program, yes all it does is swap out palettes right now, but you can save and load palettes. I found it useful compared to some of the palette editing in certain image programs. It's good when I have a lot of armors and need to swap out colours to make different variations for online RPGs I do.

A list of features I've recommended for future releases include:

-Being able to select "sections" of the palette and isolate them to swap out with other palettes (for complicated objects)
-With the isolating, being able to load a palette into that exact isolation instead of it applying to the whole image.
-Batch palette swapping
-Greyscale + overlay map

Paint Shop Pro 9 had an excellent way for saving and loading palettes onto an image, but newer updates to video drivers and OS made it basically unusable for me.
Swatchy was basically made to replicate that for me, since I don't like the way other programs do it. 

Just figured some others might be interested, if not oh wells :)

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 08:09:41 am
Paint Shop Pro 9 had an excellent way for saving and loading palettes onto an image, but newer updates to video drivers and OS made it basically unusable for me.

Tell me more about that, I'm curious. Seems a bit awkward, considering that PSP 7 still runs perfectly fine here.
Discord: Ennea#9999