AuthorTopic: "Leader of those armies bright"  (Read 11440 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: "Leader of those armies bright"

Reply #10 on: June 29, 2006, 07:35:08 am
cool edit stoven, subtle and powerful, makes me think of like and old illustration or oil painting.....maybe a Devil tarot.  color choices came out this way for no other reason than i liked how it looked :P

while its true that i didnt spend a huge amount of time on this, and it was aready late at night when i began, i purposefully shose not to dither it, because i dont like dithering or the texture it creates.  i like your edit though, maybe enough to try some dithering....i dont know

originally his entire face was lit up, but i decided that it really didnt fit the character. i decided to obscure it mostly to create an air of mystery, even deception, hopefully this is the frustration that you mean?.  you look straight at his face, but can you actually see him clearly,  he is the devil afterall, you 'see' him all the time and fail yet to actually see him clearly.   hopefully you can still pick out the glittering eyes, broken nose, eye-bags, and loose, scarred flesh.  if not, i may need to rework  :o

im thinking i may nix the text since im one of the few that can read it and that's because i already know what it says :P that and people say its distracting

by the way, is anyone familiar enough with biblical stories to tell me if satan should or should not have a penis? or nipples, shoudl i choose t uncross his arms?  i didnt think that angels had features of that sort, but the idea of the black sabbath would suggest otherwise.  Perhaps the simple posession of genetalia is an indication of sin?
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006, 08:03:33 am
Great piece, love your style and all your work.  To answer your question, I would imagine angels have genitalia, as they mated with human women to produce the nephilim.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: June 29, 2006, 08:24:19 am
Great piece, love your style and all your work.  To answer your question, I would imagine angels have genitalia, as they mated with human women to produce the nephilim.

off topic:
so it sounds like the posession of genitalia is directly related to sin, if only the fallen seem to have it.  i suppose that makes sense, and goes along with the Original Sin (i mean, the 'fruit of knowledge', for all the kiddies in the room)
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: June 29, 2006, 09:22:40 am
I suppose so.  I mean look at incubus's.  Thats is their purpose. :P

BUt on the subject of wing, I think having them originate from the shoulder and having the membrane connected to the hip would make them fuctional.  at the moment the bone appears to come from the hip, and it looks like it would result in a lot of strange muscle.

Have beezlebub in one corner and some sort of beast in the other.  His right and left hand man :P 
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline CrumbBread

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: June 29, 2006, 01:20:45 pm
Regarding the whole Original Sin thing, bear in mind that humans were created with genitalia while they were still sinless. And Jesus, being sinless, still had normal human anatomy owing to the fact that he was fully human.

The Bible makes it pretty clear that God created sex and approves of it wholeheartedly ^_^ (it is just, for a variety of reasons, only right and good in certain circumstances)

[end advertisement]

That doesn't really help you with your picture, but I didn't want the inaccurate perception to continue unquestioned.

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #15 on: June 29, 2006, 02:52:37 pm
It's very nice! I quite like the rough lighting interaction on his silhouette, the anatomy, and the shading. The strong lighting contrast on the top makes it hard to distinguish the details on the obscured part: i suggest raising the contrast on the dark colors just a tad, keeping the penumbra effect but making it a tad more readable.
The main problem is that i don't read his face at all: looks to me like he took a shotgun discharge to the face. I can't tell if he's facing forward or has his head twisted to his left. Are those pointy things horns or ears, and where are they coming from?  I see two birght shapes that could be his eyes, but they're not located where i interpret the eyes should be. Is the head tilted?

Composition wise, i'd nudge him a few pixels right, so that the wing on the left was aligned with the left vertical third of the picture, keeping the right wing still inside the frame.

|-------|
|  |   |  |
|  |   |  |
|-------|
  /\
   |
left wing aligned here

Since his body is 99.5 similar to human, every muscle and bone so alike us, i think you owe the viewer some genitalia. Otherwise it's a PC cop-out. And who's not sick and tired of PC? I know i am!

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 02:56:53 pm by Turbo »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: June 29, 2006, 04:15:12 pm
thanks for the crits, adn thats a good point about the composition

im having difficulty coming up with proper contrast, since i meant for him to be on a black field instead of a light one, and if i make the colors brighter so that the eye can see better on the bright field, then it looks completey out of whack on its native black field

as far as the head goes, its tilted down slightly, and angled just a bit to his left so that its a little closer to straight-on than the body.
if you follow the blue on the horns (they are horns) down from the point, youll find that they originate from the brow a little above the eye socket. the pointy shape next to his left our right eye is his ear, adn the other one sticks out slightly, you can see part of it behind the horn.  the bright spots are his eyes as per milton's description, and i tihnk they look to be in about the right spot for the angle, but im not portrait artist

and yeah, hes definately got a penis there, i just wasnt sure if i should remove it.  im not a fan of PC, but im also not a fan of getting a detail wrong >.<
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Sereth

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: June 29, 2006, 04:50:13 pm
I like it but at first I thought the wings were his arms and was confused.
But after looking for a few seconds I realized my mistake.

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #18 on: June 29, 2006, 05:09:42 pm
I wanted to have some fun with it, so i did:

Added some more defined human features. This is assuming that his face has such features, it could be similar to minced meat in the original which i'm not familiar with. But just by adding a chin line, it improved a lot.
Also played with his wee-wee a bit, added a bit more definition, and a hint of sack.

Yeah, that stuff about the colors, i forgot you were going for low color count and that you were heavily reusing them on the background. Disregard that advice now :)

Edit: after messing a bit with the colors (not on the edit), i'm convinced you can improve it by upping the brightness of the darkest ones (the bg does get brighter, but the figure details aren't lost in the contrast battle between the bright spots and the dark ones as they are now).
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 05:18:49 pm by Turbo »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: June 29, 2006, 06:15:10 pm
turbo : thanks for taking the time to edit, and i can understnad why you consider it to be better, but like i said before i had real reasons for making the face the way i did.  yours has a clarity and cleanness and wholeness about the face that i specifically tried to avoid.

are you sure about te contrast?  when i say field, i dont mean the background of the image, i mean the window outside them image.  heres how he was intended to be shown:

http://www.geocities.com/donteatbadgers//Satan.html

and i still tihnk that upping the brightness really detracts from him in that view

btw playing with satan's wee-wee sounds akward, though i have a sudden urge to go buy nintendo products
A mistake is a mistake.