AuthorTopic: Oblique perspective EGA RPG  (Read 16464 times)

Offline Adam

• Some everyday Robin Hood guy.
    • View Profile
    • Ádámé - mostly hungarian

Re: Oblique perspective EGA RPG

Reply #20 on: March 29, 2013, 12:15:17 am
@PypeBros:
That's an interesting idea, though I don't know if it is worth it:

@Facet, Ymedron:
That ("looks like high summer sun", "evening light mood") is exactly why I'm not so sure about it. Those shadows clearly define an environment light, which I would avoid if possible (allowing day-night cycle and seasons).

Anyway, here's an other attempt wit color-swapping:

And some dolls:

As usual, female ones didn't turned out that satisfying.
Nice. Now do the whole thing with the EGA palette!

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #21 on: March 29, 2013, 12:52:38 am
Hm, that is difficult. I don't know the limits of this palette, but I think there are some limits to what you can do. Making the shadows dark blue might make them look less sunset-like, though I have to say the darkening shadows (that you did based on pypebros' suggestion) feels artificial and even distressing for me. (I get a distressed feeling when a game world breaks my immersion and starts feeling enclosed, like a snowglobe.)
Making daylight like the black!shadow version and then adding a fade to black -> bluish colors with black shadows would be as far as I'd go with the day-night cycle.

oh god why do I feel so anxious looking at that pypebros-suggestion picture. D:
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #22 on: March 29, 2013, 07:33:26 am
Well, I've never seen a woman taking such a stance. You need not to mimmic the man' stance just for the sake of consistence. The man is inbetween ready-to-action, whatever the action might be. Try and find a similar ready-to-action stance for a woman.

If that still doesn't work, how about 2/3 poses instead of one, so that your character turns "ready-for-tussle" if you equip hands with blades, "ready-for-sneaking" when you equip with camouflage cloth and graplings, and "ready-for-charismatic-shopping" once equipped with rings and silk ?

edit: the EGA card could have up to 64KB of video memory, and one screen is 320x200/2, slightly less than 32KB, so the trick is doable by having the two pictures in VRAM (w/ shadow and wo/ shadow) and hopping to the other half of the screen on vertical retrace. On CRT screens, that should work well and un-noticed.

as for the skin colour, you could also explore the full colour palette (64 colours), and not simply stick to the CGA-backward-compatible tints.

I get a distressed feeling when a game world breaks my immersion and starts feeling enclosed, like a snowglobe.
I feel that after 5 minutes using a Windows operating system 0_0
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 07:51:28 am by PypeBros »

Offline API-Beast

• beast_pixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35725.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: March 29, 2013, 09:22:34 am
Are you saying that you have seen a man in that stance  ???

Offline Mu

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: March 29, 2013, 12:26:47 pm
I mainly just wanted to say that I am a huge fan of the art in this thread. I like the old and new character equally. One small thing I noticed was that all of the trees seem to be angled a bit too far to the up and left, giving the impression that in 3D, they are actually tilted down toward to the northwest. However, it could very well be that I'm not used to the perspective.

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #25 on: March 29, 2013, 01:14:59 pm

A pose suggestion for the "ready for action" pose.
I showed only two weapon options, but I can imagine them holding a staff or something. A bow would be more troublesome (the female has a better pose for that)
Feel free to make the female more aggressive looking, I might have been subconsciously influenced by the portrayals in media.
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #26 on: March 31, 2013, 06:24:32 pm
The EGA palette is so high-contrastvalue that pure black becomes a great friend in rendering. Personally the red shadow is less effective.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 06:26:40 pm by Helm »